4121H Engineering VEmail:
Phone: (310) 794-5550
Fax: (310) 794-5956
Chen Group Website
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Dr. Jun Chen is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Los Angeles. His current research focuses on nanotechnology and bioelectronics for energy, sensing, environment, and therapy applications in the form of smart textiles, wearables, and body area sensor networks. He has already published 2 books, 115 journal articles and 70 of them are as first/corresponding authors in Chemical Reviews, Nature Energy, Nature Electronics, Nature Sustainability, Nature Communications, Joule, Matter, and many others. His works were selected as Research Highlight by Nature and Science 6 times. He also filed 14 US patents and licensed 1. He is currently an Associate Editor of Biosensors and Bioelectronics, and an Editorial Board Member of Advanced Fiber Materials, Nano-Micro Letters, Frontiers in Pharmacology, Frontiers in Chemistry, and Smart Materials in Medicine. With a current h-index of 62, he was identified to be one of the world’s most influential researchers in the field of Materials Science by the Web of Science Group, and on the global list of The Highly Cited Researchers 2019.
Selected Publications at UCLA
- G. Chen, Y. Li, M. Bick, J. Chen*. “Smart Textiles for Electricity Generation”, Chemical Reviews, 120, 8, 3668-3720 (2020). [Front Main Cover]
- Z. Zhou, K. Chen, X. Li, S. Zhang, Y. Wu, Y. Zhou, K. Meng, C. Sun, Q. He, W. Fan, E. Fan, Z. Lin, X. Tan, W. Deng, J. Yang*, J. Chen*. “Sign-to-Speech Translation Using Machine-Learning-Assisted Stretchable Sensor Arrays”. Nature Electronics, DOI:10.1038/s41928-020-0428-6 (2020)
- S. Xu, X. Liang, X. Wu, S. Zhao, J. Chen*, K. Wang, J.-S. Chen, “Multistaged Discharge Constructing Heterostructure with Enhanced Solid-Solution Behavior for Long-Life Lithium-Oxygen Batteries”. Nature Communications, 10, 5810 (2019)
- K. Meng, S. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Y. Wu, S. Zhang, Q. He, X. Wang, Z. Zhou, W. Fan, X. Tan, J. Yang, J. Chen*. “A Wireless Textile Based Sensor System for Self-Powered Personalized Health Care”. Matter, 2, 896-907 (2020)
- N. Zhang, F. Huang, S. Zhao, X. Lv, Y. Zhou, S. Xiang, S. Xu, Y. Li, G. Chen, C. Tao, Y. Nie, J. Chen*, and X. Fan*. “Photo-Rechargeable Fabrics as Sustainable and Robust Power Sources for Wearable Bioelectronics”. Matter, 2, 1260-1269 (2020)
- S. Pu, J. Fu, Y. Liao, L. Ge, Y. Zhou, S. Zhang, S. Zhao, X. Liu, X. Hu, K. Liu, J. Chen*. “Promoting Energy Efficiency via a Self-adaptive Evaporative Cooling Hydrogel”. Advanced Materials, 32, 1907307 (2020)
- Y. Su, J. Wang, B. Wang, T. Yang, B. Yang, G. Xie, Y. Zhou, S. Zhang, H. Tai, Z. Cai, G. Chen, Y. Jiang, L.-Q. Chen, J. Chen*. “Alveolus-Inspired Active Membrane Sensors for Self-Powered Wearable Chemical Sensing and Breath Analysis”. ACS Nano, 14, 5, 6067–6075 (2020)
- W. Deng, Y. Zhou, X. Zhao, S. Zhang, Y. Zou, J. Xu, M.-H. Yeh, H. Guo, J. Chen*. “Ternary Electrification Layered Architecture for High Performance Triboelectric Nanogenerators”, ACS Nano 14, 7, 9050–9058 (2020).
- S. Zhang, Y. Ma, L. Suresh, A. Hao, M. Bick, J. G. Park, R. Liang, S. C. Tan, and J. Chen*. “Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Strong Carbon Matrix Composites”, ACS Nano, 2020, in press.
- E. Davoodi, H. Montazerian, R. Haghniaz, A. Rashidi, S. Ahadian, A. Sheikhi, J. Chen, A. Khademhosseini, A. Milani, M. Hoorfar, E. Toyserkani. “3D-Printed Ultra-Robust Surface-Doped Porous Silicone Sensors for Wearable Biomonitoring”. ACS Nano, 14, 2, 1520-1532 (2020)
- S. Pu, Y. Liao, K. Chen, J. Fu, S. Zhang, L. Ge, G. Conta, S. Bouzarif, T. Cheng, X. Hu, K. Liu, J. Chen*. “Thermogalvanic Hydrogel for Synchronous Evaporative Cooling and Low-Grade Heat Energy Harvesting”. Nano Letters, 20, 5, 3791-3797 (2020)
- L. Jin, X. Xiao, W. Deng, A. Nashalian, D. He, C. Yan, H. Su, X. Chu, V. Raveendran, T. Yang, G. Tian, W. Li, W. Yang*, J. Chen*. “Manipulating Relative Permittivity for High-Performance Wearable Triboelectric Nanogenerators”, Nano Letters, 2020, DOI:10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c01987.
- C. Yan, Y. Gao, S. Zhao, S. Zhang, Y. Zhou, W. Deng, Z. Li, G. Jiang, L. Jin, G. Tian, T. Yang, X. Chu, D. Xiong, Z. Wang, Y. Li, W. Yang, J. Chen*. “A Linear-to-Rotary Hybrid Nanogenerator for High-Performance Wearable Biomechanical Energy Harvesting”. Nano Energy, 67, 104235, (2020)
- Y. Su, T. Yang, X. Zhao, Z. Cai, G. Chen, M. Yao, K. Chen, M. Bick, J. Wang, S. Li, G. Xie, H. Tai, X. Du, Y. Jiang, J. Chen*. “A Wireless Energy Transmission Enabled Wearable Active Acetone Biosensor for Non-Invasive Prediabetes Diagnosis”, Nano Energy, 74, 104941 (2020)
- Y. Zhou, W. Deng, J. Xu, J. Chen*. “Engineering Materials at the Nanoscale for Triboelectric Nanogenerators”. Cell Reports Physical Science, 2020, in press.
- Y. Zhai, Z. Zhu, C. Zhu, K. Chen, J. Tang, X. Zhang, J. Chen*. “Single-atom Catalysts Boost Nitrogen Electroreduction Reaction”, Materials Today, 2020, DOI: 10.1016/j.mattod.2020.03.022
- H. Wang, S. Zhang, W. Cai, B. Xu, Z. Cai, Y. Wu, X. Luo, X. Wei, Z. Liu, W. Gu, A. Eychmueller, C. Zhu, and J. Chen*. “Largely Boost Methanol Electrooxidation Using Ionic Liquid/PdCu Aerogels via Interface Engineering”, Materials Horizons, 2020, DOI:10.1039/D0MH00646G.
- Z. Zhou, S. Padgett, Z. Cai, G. Conta, Y. Wu, Q. He, S. Zhang, C. Sun, J. Liu, E. Fan, K. Meng, Z. Lin, C. Uy, J. Yang, J. Chen*. “Single-Layered Ultra-Soft Washable Smart Textiles for All-Around Ballistocardiograph, Respiration, and Posture Monitoring during Sleep”. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 155,112064 (2020)
IN THE NEWS
- Glove developed by UCLA researchers translates American Sign Language to speech | Daily Bruin
- High-tech glove to translate sign language into speech in real time | HappyMag.tv
- UCLA Scientist Develops Gloves That Translate Sign Language | NPR
- This new high-tech glove translates sign language into speech in real time | CNN
- This Glove Can Translate Sign Language into Speech in Real Time | NBC Colorado
- New glove translates American Sign Language into speech in real time | ABC Washington DC
- Sign language helps the hearing impaired communicate | KNX1070 News Radio
- New glove can translate sign language instantly through an app, researchers say | The Sacramento Bee
- Wearable-tech glove translates sign language into speech in real time | Science Daily
- Thermogalvanic hydrogel cools down electronic devices | Physics World
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | Science Daily
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | AAAS and EurekAlert!
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | American Chemical Society
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012-2016
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University, 2016-2019
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- iCANX Talks|MINE2020 Outstanding Speaker Award 2020
- Okawa Foundation Research Grant Recipient 2020
- The World’s Most Influential Researchers 2019
- Associate Editor, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Nano-Micro Letters 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Advanced Fiber Materials 2019
- National Award for Outstanding Students Abroad 2015
- Material Research Society Graduate Student Award 2015