4121H Engineering VEmail:
Phone: (310) 794-5550
Fax: (310) 794-5956
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Dr. Jun Chen is currently an assistant professor in the Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Los Angeles. His current research focuses on nanotechnology and bioelectronics for energy, sensing, and therapy applications in the form of smart textiles, wearables, and body area sensor networks. He has already published 2 books, 135 journal articles and 90 of them are as first/corresponding authors in Chemical Reviews, Nature Energy, Nature Electronics, Nature Sustainability, Nature Communications, Joule, Matter, and many others. His works were selected as Research Highlight by Nature and Science 6 times, and covered by world mainstream media over 1,000 times, including NPR, ABC, NBC, Reuters, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, Scientific American, and many others. He also filed 14 US patents and licensed 1. Beyond research, he is currently an Associate Editor of Biosensors and Bioelectronics, and an Editorial Board Member of Advanced Fiber Materials, Nano-Micro Letters, Frontiers in Pharmacology, Frontiers in Chemistry, Biosensors, Textiles, and Smart Materials in Medicine. With a current h-index of 66, he was identified to be one of the world’s most influential researchers in the field of Materials Science by the Web of Science Group, and on the global list of The Highly Cited Researchers 2019/2020.
Selected Publications at UCLA
- G. Chen, Y. Li, M. Bick, J. Chen*. “Smart Textiles for Electricity Generation”, Chemical Reviews, 120, 8, 3668-3720 (2020). [Front Main Cover] [Hot Paper in Web of Science]
- Z. Zhou, K. Chen, X. Li, S. Zhang, Y. Wu, Y. Zhou, K. Meng, C. Sun, Q. He, W. Fan, E. Fan, Z. Lin, X. Tan, W. Deng, J. Yang*, J. Chen*. “Sign-to-Speech Translation Using Machine-Learning-Assisted Stretchable Sensor Arrays”. Nature Electronics, 3, 571-578(2020) [Highlighted by Science] [Highlighted by Nature Electronics] [Preview by Prof. John A. Rogers] [covered by over 200 media worldwide]
- S. Xu, X. Liang, X. Wu, S. Zhao, J. Chen*, K. Wang, J.-S. Chen, “Multistaged Discharge Constructing Heterostructure with Enhanced Solid-Solution Behavior for Long-Life Lithium-Oxygen Batteries”. Nature Communications, 10, 5810 (2019) [Top 50 Chemistry and Materials Sciences Articles]
- K. Meng, S. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Y. Wu, S. Zhang, Q. He, X. Wang, Z. Zhou, W. Fan, X. Tan, J. Yang, J. Chen*. “A Wireless Textile Based Sensor System for Self-Powered Personalized Health Care”. Matter, 2, 896-907 (2020) [Featured Article]
- N. Zhang, F. Huang, S. Zhao, X. Lv, Y. Zhou, S. Xiang, S. Xu, Y. Li, G. Chen, C. Tao, Y. Nie, J. Chen*, and X. Fan*. “Photo-Rechargeable Fabrics as Sustainable and Robust Power Sources for Wearable Bioelectronics”. Matter, 2, 1260-1269 (2020) [Featured Article]
- S. Pu, J. Fu, Y. Liao, L. Ge, Y. Zhou, S. Zhang, S. Zhao, X. Liu, X. Hu, K. Liu, J. Chen*. “Promoting Energy Efficiency via a Self-adaptive Evaporative Cooling Hydrogel”. Advanced Materials, 32, 1907307 (2020)
- Y. Su, J. Wang, B. Wang, T. Yang, B. Yang, G. Xie, Y. Zhou, S. Zhang, H. Tai, Z. Cai, G. Chen, Y. Jiang, L.-Q. Chen, J. Chen*. “Alveolus-Inspired Active Membrane Sensors for Self-Powered Wearable Chemical Sensing and Breath Analysis”. ACS Nano, 14, 5, 6067–6075 (2020)
- W. Deng, Y. Zhou, X. Zhao, S. Zhang, Y. Zou, J. Xu, M.-H. Yeh, H. Guo, J. Chen*. “Ternary Electrification Layered Architecture for High Performance Triboelectric Nanogenerators”, ACS Nano 14, 7, 9050–9058 (2020).
- Z. Zhou, L. Weng, T. Tat, A. Libanori, Z. Lin, L. Ge, J. Yang, and Jun Chen*. Smart Insole for Robust Wearable Biomechanical Energy Harvesting in Harsh Environments, ACS Nano, 14, 10, 14126–14133(2020).
- S. Zhang, Y. Ma, L. Suresh, A. Hao, M. Bick, J. G. Park, R. Liang, S. C. Tan, and J. Chen*. “Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Strong Carbon Matrix Composites”, ACS Nano, 14, 9282–9319 (2020).
- E. Davoodi, H. Montazerian, R. Haghniaz, A. Rashidi, S. Ahadian, A. Sheikhi, J. Chen, A. Khademhosseini, A. Milani, M. Hoorfar, E. Toyserkani. “3D-Printed Ultra-Robust Surface-Doped Porous Silicone Sensors for Wearable Biomonitoring”. ACS Nano, 14, 2, 1520-1532 (2020)
- S. Pu, Y. Liao, K. Chen, J. Fu, S. Zhang, L. Ge, G. Conta, S. Bouzarif, T. Cheng, X. Hu, K. Liu, J. Chen*. “Thermogalvanic Hydrogel for Synchronous Evaporative Cooling and Low-Grade Heat Energy Harvesting”. Nano Letters, 20, 5, 3791-3797 (2020)
- L. Jin, X. Xiao, W. Deng, A. Nashalian, D. He, C. Yan, H. Su, X. Chu, V. Raveendran, T. Yang, G. Tian, W. Li, W. Yang*, J. Chen*. “Manipulating Relative Permittivity for High-Performance Wearable Triboelectric Nanogenerators”, Nano Letters, 20, 9, 6404–6411(2020) [Cover Image].
- Y. Zou, V. Raveendran, J. Chen*. Wearable Triboelectric Nanogenerators for Biomechanical Energy Harvesting, Nano Energy, 77, 105303 (2020).
- C. Yan, Y. Gao, S. Zhao, S. Zhang, Y. Zhou, W. Deng, Z. Li, G. Jiang, L. Jin, G. Tian, T. Yang, X. Chu, D. Xiong, Z. Wang, Y. Li, W. Yang, J. Chen*. “A Linear-to-Rotary Hybrid Nanogenerator for High-Performance Wearable Biomechanical Energy Harvesting”. Nano Energy, 67, 104235, (2020)[Hot Paper in Web of Science]
- Y. Su, T. Yang, X. Zhao, Z. Cai, G. Chen, M. Yao, K. Chen, M. Bick, J. Wang, S. Li, G. Xie, H. Tai, X. Du, Y. Jiang, J. Chen*. “A Wireless Energy Transmission Enabled Wearable Active Acetone Biosensor for Non-Invasive Prediabetes Diagnosis”, Nano Energy, 74, 104941 (2020)
- X. Chu, X. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Y. Wang, X. Han, Y. Zhou, J. Ma, Z. Wang, H. Huang, Z. Xu, C. Yan, H. Zhang, W. Yang, J. Chen*. An Ultrathin Robust Polymer Membrane for Wearable Solid-State Electrochemical Energy Storage, Nano Energy, 76, 105179 (2020).
- Y. Zou, A. Libanori, J. Xu, A. Nashalian, and J. Chen*. Triboelectric Nanogenerators Enabled Smart Shoes for Wearable Electricity Generation, Research, 2020, 7158953(2020).
- Y. Zhou, W. Deng, J. Xu, J. Chen*. “Engineering Materials at the Nanoscale for Triboelectric Nanogenerators”. Cell Reports Physical Science, 1, 100142 (2020).
- Y. Zhai, Z. Zhu, C. Zhu, K. Chen, J. Tang, X. Zhang, J. Chen*. “Single-atom Catalysts Boost Nitrogen Electroreduction Reaction”, Materials Today, 38, 99-113. [Cover Image]
- H. Wang, S. Zhang, W. Cai, B. Xu, Z. Cai, Y. Wu, X. Luo, X. Wei, Z. Liu, W. Gu, A. Eychmueller, C. Zhu, and J. Chen*. “Largely Boost Methanol Electrooxidation Using Ionic Liquid/PdCu Aerogels via Interface Engineering”, Materials Horizons, 7, 2407-2413 (2020).
- Z. Zhou, S. Padgett, Z. Cai, G. Conta, Y. Wu, Q. He, S. Zhang, C. Sun, J. Liu, E. Fan, K. Meng, Z. Lin, C. Uy, J. Yang, J. Chen*. “Single-Layered Ultra-Soft Washable Smart Textiles for All-Around Ballistocardiograph, Respiration, and Posture Monitoring during Sleep”. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 155,112064 (2020) [Hot Paper in Web of Science]
- Tat, A. Libanori, C. Au, A. Yau, J. Chen*. Advances in Triboelectric Nanogenerators for Biomedical Sensing, Biosensors and Bioelectronics,171, 112714 (2021).
IN THE NEWS
- Science stories of 2020 you won't want to miss! | Ontario Science Centre
- Nine UCLA Engineering Faculty Named Among World’s Most Influential Researchers| UCLA News
- 2019 Highly Cited Researchers Announced| UCLA News
- Bioengineering Student Receives National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship | UCLA News
- Amazing new glove can translate sign language into spoken words in real time | Yahoo
- These gloves let your ‘hear’ sign language | Fast Company
- Glove developed by UCLA researchers translates American Sign Language to speech | Daily Bruin
- High-tech glove to translate sign language into speech in real time | HappyMag.tv
- UCLA Scientist Develops Gloves That Translate Sign Language | NPR
- This new high-tech glove translates sign language into speech in real time | CNN
- This Glove Can Translate Sign Language into Speech in Real Time | NBC Colorado
- New glove translates American Sign Language into speech in real time | ABC Washington DC
- Sign language helps the hearing impaired communicate | KNX1070 News Radio
- New glove can translate sign language instantly through an app, researchers say | The Sacramento Bee
- Wearable-tech glove translates sign language into speech in real time | Science Daily
- UCLA Engineers Develop Fabric that Harvests AND Stores Energy | UCLA News
- Thermogalvanic hydrogel cools down electronic devices | Physics World
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | Science Daily
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | AAAS and EurekAlert!
- A new way to cool down electronic devices, recover waste heat | American Chemical Society
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012-2016
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University, 2016-2019
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Top 10 Science Stories of 2020 by Ontario Science Centre 2020
- Nanoscale Emerging Investigators Award 2020
- Highly Cited Researchers in Web of Science 2020
- ACS Nano Rising Stars Lectureship Award 2020
- Frontiers in Chemistry, Rising Stars 2020
- MINE2020 Young Scientist Excellence Award 2020
- Okawa Foundation Research Award 2020
- The World’s Most Influential Researchers 2019
- Associate Editor, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2019
- Academic Editor, The Innovation (Cell Press) 2020
- Editorial Board Members, Nano-Micro Letters 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Advanced Fiber Materials 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Smart Materials in Medicine 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Biosensors 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Textiles 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Frontiers in Pharmacology 2019
- Editorial Board Members, Frontiers in Chemistry 2019
- National Award for Outstanding Students Abroad 2015
- Material Research Society Graduate Student Award 2015