4121H Engineering VEmail:
Phone: (310) 794-5550
Fax: (310) 794-5956
Chen Lab Website
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Our research focuses on nanotechnology and bioelectronics for energy, sensing, and healthcare applications in the form of wearables and smart textiles. We are interested in fundamental materials innovation, advanced device design, and system integration toward the next wave of interactive wearables and body area networks.
- J. Chen*, D.G. Machanic, D. Lin, B. Zhao, K. Liu, J. Wan, B. Liu, Y. Peng, L. Cai, P.-C Hsu, Z. Yu, S. Fan, Z. Bao, Y. Cui*. “Phase Change Enabled Active Personal Thermal Management via a Nanocomposite Textile”. Nature Energy. Under Review.
- G. Chen, Y. Li, M. Bick, J. Chen*. “Smart Textiles for Electricity Generation”, Chemical Reviews, 120, 8, 3668-3720 (2020) • Front Main Cover.
- Z. Zhou, K. Chen, X. Li, S. Zhang, Y. Wu, Y. Zhou, K. Meng, C. Sun, Q. He, W. Fan, E. Fan, Z. Lin, X. Tan, W. Deng, J. Yang*, J. Chen*. “Sign-to-Speech Translation Using Machine-Learning-Assisted Stretchable Sensor Arrays”. Nature Electronics, accepted, in press.
- S. Xu, X. Liang, X. Wu, S. Zhao, J. Chen*, K. Wang, J.-S. Chen, “Multistaged Discharge Constructing Heterostructure with Enhanced Solid-Solution Behavior for Long-Life Lithium-Oxygen Batteries”. Nature Communications, 10, 5810 (2019)
- K. Meng, S. Zhao, Y. Zhou, Y. Wu, S. Zhang, Q. He, X. Wang, Z. Zhou, W. Fan, X. Tan, J.
Yang, J. Chen*. “A Wireless Textile Based Sensor System for Self-Powered Personalized
Health Care”. Matter, 2, 896-907 (2020)
- Research Highlight: “The Future of Smart Textiles: User Interfaces and Health Monitors”. Matter, 2, 794-795(2020)
- N. Zhang, F. Huang, S. Zhao, X. Lv, Y. Zhou, S. Xiang, S. Xu, Y. Li, G. Chen, C. Tao, Y.
Nie, J. Chen*, and X. Fan*. “Photo-Rechargeable Fabrics as Sustainable and Robust Power Sources for Wearable Bioelectronics”. Matter, 2, 1260-1269 (2020)
- Research Highlight: “Powering Body Area Sensor Networks”. Matter, 2, 1079-1090(2020)
- JChen submitted the manuscript and was the Lead Contact
- S. Pu, J. Fu, Y. Liao, L. Ge, Y. Zhou, S. Zhang, S. Zhao, X. Liu, X. Hu, K. Liu, J. Chen*. “Promoting Energy Efficiency via a Self-adaptive Evaporative Cooling Hydrogel”. Advanced Materials, 32, 1907307 (2020)
IN THE NEWS
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology, 2016
- Postdoctoral Training with Professor Yi Cui, Stanford University, 2016-2019
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- National Award for Outstanding Students Abroad 2015
- Material Research Society Graduate Student Award 2015
Bioengr 298: Wearable Bioelectronics