MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
2121F- Engr. VEmail:
Phone: (310) 206-4838
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Dr. He’s research focuses on biologically inspired materials based on stimuli-responsive polymers and micro/nano-structure fabrication, for applications in biomedicine, environment, and energy. The interdisciplinary research across “design – synthesis – properties – functions” involves polymer chemistry and physics, molecular design and synthesis, and studies of mechanical, optical and electrical properties of soft materials.There are openings for postdocs and PhD students. Students with background in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Optics, and Mechanics, may send CV to email@example.com
- Optical sensing of chemical and biological molecules
- Bioinspired self-regulating materials
- Chemo-mechanically modulated separation of metal ions and cancer cells
- Novel stimuli-responsive polymers for soft robots
- Photo-responsive materials for optics, photonics, waveguides, and photo-harvesting
- Biomaterials for controlled cell adhesion and migration
- 3-D printing technology
- A.Shastri, L. McGregor, Y. Liu, V. Harris, H. Nan, M. Mujica, Y. Vasquez, A. Bhattacharya, Y. Ma, M. Aizenberg, O. Kuksenok, A. Balazs, J. Aizenberg, X. He, An Aptamer-functionalized Chemomechanically-modulated Biomolecule Catch-and-release System, Nature Chemistry 2015, 7, 447.
- Z.Zhao, N. Wang, H. Nan, L. Shen, C. Durkan, X. He, A novel paradigm for fabricating highly uniform nanowire arrays using residual stress-induced patterning, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2016, 4, 5814.
- Z.Zhao, H. Han, M. Sun, X. He, Simultaneous Topographic and Chemical Patterning via Imprinting Defined Nano-reactors, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 96538.
- X.He, M. Aizenberg, O. Kuksenok, L. Zarzar, A. Shastri, A. Balazs, J. Aizenberg, Synthetic Homeostatic Materials displaying Chemo-mechano-chemical Self-regulation, Nature, 2012, 487, 214.
- X.He, F. Gao, G. Tu, D. Hasko, S. Hüttner, U. Steiner, N. C. Greenham, R. Friend, W. Huck, Formation of nanostructured polymer blends in photovoltaic devices, Nano Lett., 2010, 10, 1302.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Air Force Young Investigators Research Program (YIP) Award (2016)
- NSF CAREER Award (2016)
- Harvard Postdoctoral Award for Professional Development (2013)
- National Outstanding Students Award of UK (2010)
- W.Wing Yip & Brothers Excellent Young Scientist Award of UK (2009)
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship (2006-2010)
- UK Overseas Research Scholarship (2006-2010)