Assistant Professor of Biomedical Sciences and Neurology
Center for Neural Science and Medicine (CNSM), Cedars-Sinai
Affilitate Assistant Professor of Bioengineering
Samueli School of Engineering, UCLA
Assistant (Adj.) Professor of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
Office: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 8700 Beverly Blvd, AHSP A8401, Los Angeles, CA 90048Email: email@example.com
Phone: (424) 315-2657
Fax: (424) 315-2853
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
The lab of Tanuj Gulati, PhD is using systems neuroscience methods to understand the motor basis of behavior. This helps the team understand how the brain generates movement and learns new motor skills. The lab is also using this knowledge to develop novel neuroengineering strategies that utilize the development of motor prostheses, brain-machine interfaces (BMIs) and neurorobotics for repair and functional recovery in movement disabilities, such as stroke. Dr. Gulati's recent work has also placed a special emphasis on investigating the cortical basis of neuroprosthetic (or BMI) skill consolidation during 'offline' sleep periods, and his lab is also investigating if augmentation of processes during sleep can influence motor learning.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications.
- Kim J, Gulati T, Ganguly K. Competing Roles of Slow Oscillations and Delta Waves in Memory Consolidation versus Forgetting. Cell. 2019 Oct 3;179(2):514-526.e13.
- Ramanathan DS*, Guo L*, Gulati T*, Davidson G, Hishinuma AK, Won SJ, Knight RT, Chang EF, Swanson RA, Ganguly K. Low-frequency cortical activity is a neuromodulatory target that tracks recovery after stroke. Nat Med. 2018 Aug;24(8):1257-1267. (*equally contributing authors)
- Gulati T, Guo L, Ramanathan DS, Bodepudi A, Ganguly K. Neural reactivations during sleep determine network credit assignment. Nat Neurosci. 2017 Sep;20(9):1277-1284.
- Godlove J*, Gulati T*, Dichter B, Chang E, Ganguly K. Muscle synergies after stroke are correlated with perilesional high gamma. Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2016 Oct 21;3(12):956-961. (*equally contributing authors)
- Gulati T, Won SJ, Ramanathan DS, Wong CC, Bodepudi A, Swanson RA, Ganguly K. Robust neuroprosthetic control from the stroke perilesional cortex. J Neurosci. 2015 Jun 3;35(22):8653-61.
- Gulati T, Ramanathan DS, Wong CC, Ganguly K. Reactivation of emergent task-related ensembles during slow-wave sleep after neuroprosthetic learning. Nat Neurosci. 2014 Aug;17(8):1107-13.
- Master's: National Brain Research Center, 2006
- Doctorate: Drexel University College of Medicine, 2012
- Post Doctorate: University of California, San Francisco, 2018
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Program CAREER Award, 2021
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)/ National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) K99/ R00 Pathway to Independence Award, 2017
- American Heart/ Stroke Association (AHA) Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, 2015
- Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Biomedical Sciences