PROFESSOR AND AREA DIRECTOR FOR SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS
ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
56-147B Engr IVEmail:
Phone: (310) 825-2108
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Coding and information theory, statistical algorithms, and machine learning with applications to various traditional and emerging technologies
- in data storage, including memories (Flash, DRAM, DNA storage, etc.), and dense, large-scale, and distributed storage, and
- in data processing, including blockchain, quantum computing, and distributed computing.
- A. Hareedy, C. Lanka, N. Guo, and L. Dolecek, “A Combinatorial Methodology for Optimizing Non-Binary Graph-Based Codes: Theoretical Analysis and Applications in Data Storage,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 65 (4), pp. 2128 – 2154, Apr. 2019. IEEE Data Storage Society 2019 Best Student Paper Award.
- P. Stanley-Marbell, A. Alaghi, M. Carbin, E. Darulova, L. Dolecek, A. Gerstlauer, G. Gillani, D. Jevdjic, T. Moreau, M. Cacciotti, A. Daglis, N. Enright Jerger, B. Falsa, S. Misailovic, A. Sampson, D. Zuerey, “Exploiting Errors for Efficiency: A Survey from Circuits to Applications,” ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 53 (3), pp. 1-39, March 2020.
- Z. Chen, C. Schoeny, and L. Dolecek, “Hamming Distance Computation in Unreliable Resistive Memory,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 66 (11), pp. 5013 – 5027, Nov. 2018.
- S. S. Garani, L. Dolecek, J. Barry, F. Sala, and B. Vasic, “Signal Processing and Coding Techniques for 2-D Magnetic Recording: An Overview,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 106 (9), pp. 286-318, Feb. 2018.
- F. Sala, R. Gabrys, C. Schoeny, and L. Dolecek, “Exact Reconstruction from Insertions in Synchronization Codes,” IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 63 (4), pp. 2428 — 2446, April 2017.
- M. Gottscho, I. Alam, C. Schoeny, L. Dolecek, P. Gupta, “Low-Cost Memory Fault Tolerance for IoT Devices,” ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 16(5). pp. 128:1– 128:25, Nov. 2017. Best Paper Award at the ACM/IEEE Int. Conference on Compilers, Architecture, and System Synthesis (CASES).
- L. Dolecek and Y. Cassuto, “Channel Coding for Nonvolatile Memory Technologies: Theoretical Advances and Practical Considerations,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 105 (9), pp. 1705-1724, Sept. 2017.
- R. Gabrys, E. Yaakobi, and L. Dolecek, “Correcting Grain-Errors in Magnetic Media,”IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, vol. 61 (5), pp.2256 — 2272, May 2015. IEEE Data Storage Society Best Student Paper Award.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2019, IEEE Data Storage Society Best Student Paper Award
- 2018, Best of SELSE Paper Award
- 2018, NVMW Memorable Paper Award
- 2018, NVMW Memorable Paper Award Runner-Up
- 2017, ES Week Best Paper Award
- 2016, IEEE Data Storage Society Best Student Paper Award
- 2016, Two best of SELSE awards
- 2015, IEEE Globecom Conference Best Paper Award (Data Storage)
- 2014, IBM Faculty Award
- 2013, Northrop Grumman Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2013, UCLA Faculty Career Development Award
- 2013, Okawa Research Grant Award
- 2013, Intel Early Career Award
- 2012, NSF Career Award
- 2011, Hellman Fellowship Award
- 2007, UC Berkeley David J. Sakrison Memorial Prize