MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Phone: (310) 825-1519
Fax: (310) 206-7353
Bruce Dunn Lab
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Research in the Dunn group involves the synthesis of inorganic and hybrid materials and characterization of their electrical and optical properties. The various areas are described in greater detail on our lab page and representative publications are listed below. One of the principal themes which extends to most of the research activities is the use of sol-gel methods to synthesize a number of the materials studied in the group (see: http://www.solgel.com/educational for background on the sol-gel process). This synthetic approach enables us to prepare materials which incorporate a wide variety of organic and biological dopants and are capable of developing unique microstructures and properties.
- T-J. M. Luo, R. Soong, E. Lan, B. Dunn and C. Montemagno, “Photo-Induced Proton Gradients and ATP Biosynthesis Produced by Vesicles Encapsulated in a Silica Matrix”, Nature Materials 4, 220 (2005).
- D. Sun, C-W. Kwon, G. Baure, E. Richman, J. MacLean, B. Dunn and S.H. Tolbert, “The Relationship Between Nanoscale Structure and Electrochemical Properties of Vanadium Oxide Nanorolls”, Advanced Functional Materials 14, 1197 (2004).
- C. Wang, L. Taherabadi, G. Jia, M. Madou, Y. Yeh, and B. Dunn, “C-MEMS for the Manufacture of 3D Microbatteries”, Electrochem. and Solid-State Letts. 7, A435 (2004)
- J.W. Long, B. Dunn, D.R. Rolison and H.S. White, “Three-Dimensional Battery Architectures”, Chem. Rev. 104, 4463 (2004).
- B.O. Skadtchenko, M. Trudeau, C-W. Kwon, B. Dunn and D. Antonelli, “Synthesis and Electrochemistry of Li-and Na-Fulleride Doped Mesoporous Ta Oxides”, Chem. Mater. 16, 2886 (2004)
- J. C. Zhou, M. H. Chuang, E. H. Lan, B. Dunn, P. L. Gillman, S. M. Smith, “Immunoassays for Cortisol using Antibody-Doped Sol-Gel Silica”, J. Mater. Chem. 14, 2311 (2004)
- J.L. Rickus, P.L. Chang, A. J. Tobin, J.I. Zink and B. Dunn, “Photochemical Coenzyme Regeneration in an Enzymatically Active Optical Material” J. Phys. Chem. B. 108, 9325 (2004).
- G. Sudant, E. Baudrin, B. Dunn and J-M. Tarascon, “Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of Vanadium Oxide Aerogels Prepared by a Freeze Drying Process”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 151, A666 (2004)
- L. D. Noailles, H-h. Peng, J. Starkovich and B. Dunn, “Thermal Expansion and Phase Formation of ZrW2O8 Aerogels”, Chem. Mater. 16, 1252 (2004)
- J. Deval, T.A. Umali, E.H. Lan, B. Dunn and C-H. Ho, “Reconfigurable Hydrophobic/Hydrophilic Surfaces in Microelectromechanical Systems”, J. Micromech. Microeng. 14, 91 (2004).
- R. Hart, H.S. White, B. Dunn and D.R. Rolison, “3D Microbatteries”, Electrochem. Comm. 5, 120 (2003).
- J.S. Sakamoto and B. Dunn, “Hierarchical Electrodes Based on Inverted Opal Structures”, J. Mater. Chem. 12, 2859 (2002)
- J.-A. Paik, S.-K. Fan, C.-J. Kim, M.C. Wu and B. Dunn, “Micromachining of Mesoporous Oxide Films for MEMS Structures” J. Mater. Res. 17, 2121 (2002).
- P. N. Minoofar, R. Hernandez, S. Chia, B. Dunn, J. I. Zink, and A-C. Franville, “Placement and Characterization of Pairs of Luminescent Molecules in Spatially Separated Regions of Nanostructured Thin Films,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124, 14388 (2002)
- J. Sakamoto and B. Dunn, “Vanadium Oxide – Carbon Nanotube Composite Electrodes for Use in Secondary Lithium Batteries”, J. Electrochem. Soc. 149, A 26 (2002)
- D.R. Rolison and B. Dunn, “Electrically Conductive Aerogels: New Materials in Electrochemistry”, J. Mater. Chem. 11, 963 (2001).
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Fulbright research fellowship (1986),
- Invited professorship at the University of Paris (1991-3, 1998)
- Invited professorship at the University of Bordeaux (2000),
- Allied Signal Faculty Award (1997)
- DOE Award for Outstanding Research in Materials Science (1995, 1998).