ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Fang Lu Chair in Engineering
68-109 ENG IVEmail:
Phone: (310) 825-9655
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
- Silicon Photonics
- Bioimaging and screening
- Physics-inspired Algorithms
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Artificial Intelligence
- K. Goda and B. Jalali, Dispersive Fourier transformation for fast continuous single-shot measurements, Nature Photonics 7, 102 (2013)
- K. Goda, A. Ayazi, D. R. Gossett, J. Sadasivam, C. K. Lonappan, E. Sollier, A. M. Fard, S. C. Hur, J. Adam, C. Murray, C. Wang, N. Brackbill, D. Di Carlo, and B. Jalali, “High-throughput single-microparticle imaging flow analyzer,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109, 11630 (2012)
- D. R. Solli, G. Herink, B. Jalali, and C. Ropers, “Fluctuations and correlations in modulation instability,” Nature Photonics 6. 463 (2012)
- K. Goda, A. Mahjoubfar, C. Wang, A. Fard, J. Adam, D. R. Gossett, A. Ayazi, E. Sollier, O. Malik, E. Chen, Y. Liu, R. Brown, N. Sarkhosh, D. Di Carlo, and B. Jalali, “Hybrid dispersion laser scanner,” Scientific Reports 2, 445 (2012)
- D. R. Solli, B. Jalali, and C. Ropers, “Seeded supercontinuum generation with optical parametric down-conversion,” Physical Review Letters 105, 233902 (2010)
- Tan Z., Wang C., Goda K., Malik O., Jalali B., “Jammed-array wideband sawtooth filter,” Opt Express. 2011 Nov 21;19(24):24563-8.
- Diebold E.D., Hon N.K., Tan Z., Chou J., Sienick T., Wang C., Jalali B., “Giant tunable optical dispersion using chromo-modal excitation of a multimode waveguide” Opt Express. 2011 Nov 21;19(24):23809-17.
- Fard A., Yang J.Y., Buckley B., Wang J., Chitgarha M.R., Zhang L., Willner A.E., Jalali B., “Time-stretch oscilloscope with dual-channel differential detection front end for monitoring of 100 Fb/s return-to-zero differential quadrature phase-shift keying data,” Opt Lett. 2011 Oct 1;36(19):3804-6.
- Fard A., Gupta S., Jalali B., “Digital broadband linearization technique and its application to photonic time-stretch analog-to-digital converter,” Opt Lett. 2011 Apr. 1l36(7):1077-9.
- Kim S.H., Goda K., Fard A., Jalali B., “Optical time-domain analog pattern correlator for high-speed real-time image recognition,” Opt Lett. 2011 Jan 15;36(2):220-2.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- National Academy of Inventors (2020)
- Distinguished Engineering Achievement Award from the Engineering Council “For seminal contributions in establishing the field of silicon photonics and for time stretch techniques resulting in a new generation of real time high throughput instruments”., 2013
- Fellow, Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers, 2013
- IEEE Photonics Society’s Aron Kressel Award “For contributions to the science and technology of silicon photonics”., 2012
- Fellow, American Physical Society, 2011
- R.W. Wood Prize from the Optical Society of America “For the Invention and Demonstration of Raman Lasing in Silicon”, 2007
- “Scientific American 50”, 2006
- Advanced Solid State Photonics (ASSP) Conference, Best Student Paper Award, Graduate student V. Raghunathan (Professor B. Jalali, advisor), 2006
- Fellow of the Optical Society of America, 2004
- Best Paper Award, First ADC Forum (IMTC), 2003
- IEEE Fellow, 2003
- BridgeGate 20 Award, 2001
- IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optical Society Distinguished Lecturer Award, 1998