Assistant Professor, Bioengineering
Assistant Professor, Medicine
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Professor Anthony G. Christodoulou’s research focus is on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) physics and image reconstruction, particularly quantitative imaging for cardiovascular and cancer applications. He and has group have authored publications in outlets including Nature Biomedical Engineering, Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, and IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. His work on 4D cardiovascular MR (CMR) received the best paper award at the 2011 IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference; his recent work on multidimensional quantitative cardiovascular imaging, dubbed MR Multitasking, received the 2016 Society for MR Angiography Best Oral Presentation Award, was a finalist for the 2017 Society for CMR (SCMR) Early Career Award, and received the 2018 SCMR Clinical Seed Grant Award. Prof. Christodoulou is a member of the IEEE, ISMRM, SCMR, and AHA.
Click here for a complete list of publications. Selected publications:
- AG Christodoulou, JL Shaw, C Nguyen, Q Yang, Y Xie, N Wang, D Li. Magnetic resonance multitasking for motion-resolved quantitative cardiovascular imaging. Nature Biomed Eng. 2018;2(4):215–26. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41551-018-0217-y.
- Y Chen, JL Shaw, Y Xie, D Li, AG Christodoulou. Deep learning within a priori temporal feature spaces for large-scale dynamic MR image reconstruction: Application to 5-D cardiac MR Multitasking. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2019;11765:495–504. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-32245-8_55
- JL Shaw, Q Yang, Z Zhou, Z Deng, C Nguyen, D Li, AG Christodoulou. Free-breathing, non-ECG, continuous myocardial T1 mapping with cardiovascular magnetic resonance multitasking. Magn Reson Med. 2019;81(4):2450–63. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.27553.
- AG Christodoulou, H Zhang, B Zhao, TK Hitchens, C Ho, Z-P Liang. High-resolution cardiovascular MRI by integrating parallel imaging with low-rank and sparse modeling. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2013;60(11):3083–92. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2013.2266096.
- AG Christodoulou, G Redler, B Clifford, Z-P Liang, HJ Halpern, B Epel. Fast dynamic electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) oxygen imaging using low-rank tensors. J Magn Reson. 2016;270:176–82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmr.2016.07.006.
- AG Christodoulou, P Kellman, Z-P Liang. Accelerating cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging: Signal processing meets nuclear spins. IEEE Signal Process Mag. 2014;31(5):138–43. https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2014.2328503
- PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- MS, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 2009
- BS, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 2008
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Clinical Seed Grant Winner, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 2018
- Early Career Award Finalist (Translational), Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, 2017
- James Potchen Award for Best Oral Presentation, Society for Magnetic Resonance Angiography, 2016
- Best Paper Award, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference, 2011
- Predoctoral Fellowship, American Heart Association, 2011
- ECE Distinguished Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009