DISTINGUISHED PROFESSOR EMERITUS
MECHANICAL AND AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
Phone: (310) 825-5481
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Mechanics of solids, fractures and failure, wave propagation, nondestructive evaluation, composite materials, structural health monitoring, biomechanics.
- Mal, S., and Gadh, R., “Real-Time Push Middleware and Mobile Application for Electric Vehicle Smart Charging and Aggregation,” International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems, 2011.
- Duenas, T., Enke, A., Chai, K., Castellucci, M., Sundaresan, V.B., Wudl, F., Murphy, E.B., Mal, A.K., Alexandar, J.R., Corder, A., and Ooi, T.K.. “Smart self-healing material systems using inductive and resistive heating.” In Smart Coatings III, Chapter 4, ASC Symposium Series (pp. 45-60), 2010.
- Banerjee, S., Ricci, F., Monaco, E., Mal, A. K., “A Damage Index Approach for Autonomous Damage Monitoring of Structural Components”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 322 (1-2), 167-183, 2009.
- Hoshino Tetsuya, Chow Lori A, Hsu Jeffrey J, Perlowski Alice A, Abedin Moeen, Tobis Jonathan, Tintut Yin, Mal Ajit K, Klug William S, Demer Linda L, “Mechanical stress analysis of a rigid inclusion in distensible material: a model of atherosclerotic calcification and plaque vulnerability,” American journal of physiology, Heart and circulatory physiology, 297 (2), pp. H802-10, 2009.
- Hoshino, T., Chow, L., Hsu, J., Perlowski, A., Abedin, M., Tobis, J., Tintut, Y., Mal, A., Klug, S. and Demer, L., “Mechanical Stress Analysis of a rigid inclusion in distensible material: a model of artherosclerotic calcification and plaque vulnerability,” Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, pp. H802 –H810, 2009.
- Banerjee, S., Ricci, F., Monaco, E., Mal, A. K., “A Wave Propagation and Vibration-based Approach for Damage Identification in Structural Components,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 332 (1-2), pp. 167-183, 2009.
- Rizzo, P., Lanza di Scalea, F., Banerjee, S. and Mal, A.K., “Ultrasonic Characterization and Inspection of Open Cell Foams,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 131(11):1200 – 1208 (2005)
- Mal, A.K., Ricci, F., Banerjee, S., and Shih, F., “A Conceptual Structural Health Monitoring System Based on Vibration and Wave Propagation,”Structural Health Monitoring: An International Journal, 4(3):283-293 (2005)
- A. Mal, F. Shih and W. Prosser, “Lamb waves from impact damage in composite plates,” Instrumentation — Measure-Metrologie, Special Issue on Ultrasonic Methods for Material Characterization 3, 11–37, 2003.
- A. Mal, “Elastic Waves from Localized Sources in Composite Laminates,”Int. J. Solids and Structures 39, 5481–5494, 2002.
Calcutta University, 1964
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Fellow, SPIE
- Fellow, ASME
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics
- Fulbright Senior Fellow, Germany
- NDE Achievement Award, SPIE
- Founder’s Award, ASME NDE Division
- Invited Keynote Lecture, 13th Int’l Acoustic Emission Symposium, Nara, Japan
- General Chairman, ASME-AMD-MD Summer Conference, UCLA
- Special ASME Symposium Celebrating 60th Birthday, Nashville, TN