Engineering Alumni Association
MESSAGE FROM OUR PRESIDENT
Welcome to the UCLA Engineering Alumni Association (EAA)! The mission of the EAA is to create mutually beneficial lifelong relationships between the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and its alumni. All alumni of UCLA Engineering are lifetime members of the Engineering Alumni Association. There are many ways that you can re-connect and be involved with UCLA Engineering and the UCLA campus at large. Below are just a few examples:
- Social Events and Networking – Throughout the year there are opportunities for our Bruin Engineers to connect at social and networking events. These events provide access to a network of professionals and likeminded Bruin Engineers. Be on the lookout for our tailgates and game watch events in your region.
- Student Support – The EAA provides funding each year to a number of project-focused engineering student groups. An annual student project review takes place in the fall where students present their proposals in front of an alumni committee. Alumni can also participate in reviewing student scholarship applications, serving as an alumni mentor, or participating on a career panel.
- Outreach and Engagement – We are interested in developing new engagement and outreach opportunities for engineering alumni. Our regional networks allows us to connect with our over 36,000 alumni globally. We also connect with our newly admitted students during Engineering Open House to ensure that they feel welcomed into the Bruin Engineering family.
- Alumni Recognition – Acknowledging the professional accomplishments and contributions of our alumni is a highlight of the EAA’s work. The school’s Alumni Awards Dinner highlights those alumni who have been selected by their peers along with outstanding students and faculty. As an alumnus you have the ability to nominate fellow alumni or yourself for an alumni award.
As you can see, through these offerings we hope to keep you connected to the Bruin Engineering family and part of a legacy of engineering excellence at UCLA! I hope to see you at a UCLA Engineering event in the near future.
M.S. ’05, M.B.A. ’10
President, UCLA Engineering Alumni Association
EAA Governing Board
- Access a network of professionals and likeminded Bruins.
- Contribute to the growth and direction of the School’s future
- Reconnect and build relationships with faculty, staff and University leadership.
- Direct access to volunteer opportunities with students, resources and events
- Build transferable skills in leadership, communication, public relations and fundraising
- Eliza Sheppard MS ’05, MBA ’10– President
Marianne So ’07– Vice President
Marzena Laskowska ’06- Secretary
William Goodin MS ’71, PhD ’75, ME ’82– Chair, Membership and Nominating Committee
Angela Murray ’12– Co-Chair, Alumni Engagement Committee
Alex Capecelatro ’10- Co-Chair, Alumni Engagement Committee
LInda Wong- Co-Chair, Society of Women Engineers Advisory Committee
Makena White- Co-Chair, Society of Women Engineers Advisory Committee
Eddie Shek MS ’92, PhD ’97- Chair, Alumni Awards Committee
Van Schultz ’74, MS ’75- Chair, Tannas Alumni Suite Committee (ad-hoc)
Coretta Harris ’83- Co-Chair, Tri-Org Committee
Audrey O’Neal MS ’99, PhD ’14– Co-Chair, Tri-Org Committee
Brooke Crowe ’14– Co-Chair, Student Projects Committee
Jamie Harlan ’09- Co-Chair, Student Projects Committee
- Eliza Sheppard MS ’05, MBA ’10– President
Yue Du ’10
Newsha Ghodsi ’94, MBA ’10
Hadith Mendoza ’02
Kendra Rusinek ’13
Anthony Tyson ’12
Hoai Vu MS ’85, PhD ’89
Hans Wee ’03
Len Bonilla ’70, Honorary Member
2014-2016 John Cosgrove ME ’67
2012-2014 Leonard Bonilla ’70
2010-2012 Asad Madni ’69, MS ‘72
2008-2010 Coretta Harris ‘83
2006-2008 Asad Madni ’69, MS ‘72
2004-2006 Van Schultz ’74, MS ‘75
2002-2004 Robert Green ’72, JD ‘75
1998-2002 William Goodin MS ’71, PhD ’75, ME ’82
2017-18 Ex-Officio Members
Gene D. Block – Chancellor, UCLA
Jayathi Murthy – Dean, UCLA Engineering
Harold Monbouquette – Associate Dean, Research & Physical Resources, UCLA Engineering
Richard D. Wesel – Associate Dean, Academic & Student Affairs, UCLA Engineering
Haroon Rasheed – President, Engineering Society, University of California (ESUC)
Shivali Gowda – President, Society of Women Engineers (SWE), UCLA Chapter
Joey Lao MS ’18– Co-President, Engineering Graduate Student Association (EGSA)
Elaine Wang- Co-President, Engineering Graduate Student Association (EGSA)
Professor Tim Fisher has been appointed chair of the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at the UCLA Samueli School of Engineering.
A new algorithm developed by UCLA researchers more accurately predicts which people will survive heart failure, and for how long, whether or not they receive a heart transplant.
A UCLA bioengineer has developed a technique that uses a specially adapted 3D printer to build therapeutic biomaterials from multiple materials.
Judea Pearl, chancellor’s professor of computer science and statistics at UCLA, has written his first book intended for a general audience, “The Book of Why: The New Science of Cause and Effect.”
Andrea Bertozzi, a distinguished professor of mathematics in the UCLA College and of mechanical and aerospace engineering in the UCLA Samueli School of Engineering
The National Science Foundation’s “Science Nation” program recently featured civil and environmental engineering professors Henry Burton and John Wallace