National Academy of Engineering Member and National Academy of Sciences Member
Math Sciences 7619FEmail:
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
- Level set methods for computing moving fronts involving topological changes
- The development of methods for approximating hyperbolic conservation laws and Hamilton-Jacobi equations
- Total variation and other partial differential equations based image processing techniques and in scientific computing and applied partial differential equations
- Geometric Level Set Methods in Imaging, Vision and Graphics, [S. Osher and N. Paragios (eds)], Springer Verlag, August 2002 (in preparation).
- Level Set Methods and Dynamic Implicit Surfaces by Stanley Osher and Ronald P. Fedkiw Book listing on amazon.com.
- Recent Advances in Scientific Computing and Partial Differential Equations, in honor of Stan Osher's 60th Birthday, Edited by S.Y. Cheng, Chi-Wang Shu, and T. Tang, AMS
- Ph.D., New York University, 1966
- M.S., New York University, 1964
- B.S., Brooklyn College, 1962
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Professor Stan Osher elected into the National Academy of Engineering Click Here
- Professor Stan Osher surpasses 100,000 citations Click Here
- Stan Osher Receives William Benter Prize at City University of Hong Kong, June 2016 Click Here
- Stan Osher Receives Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize at 2014 ICM Meeting in Seoul, South Korea Click Here Click Here
- Highly Cited Researcher, 2014 Among the top 1% most cited in both Mathematics and Computer Science between 2002 and 2012 Click Here
- John von Neumann Lecture, SIAM 2013 Annual Meeting Click Here
- AMS Fellow, 2011
- Plenary speaker, International Conference of Mathematicians, 2010
- Honorary Doctoral Degree, Hong Kong Baptist Unversity, 2009
- Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2009
- Fellow of Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2009
- Link to Wikimization
- Elected as recipient of 2007 USACM Computational and Applied Sciences Award
- Awarded Docteur Honoris Causa from ENS Cachan, France. Read more: honor.html
- Elected to the National Acade my of Sciences NAS this spring (view the Celebration!)
- Awarded the SIAM Kleinman Prize for his many contributions to the analysis and computation of hyperbolic equations and their applications in science and engineering, and for his mentoring of young scientists and service to the scientific community. His many innovations in numerical schemes for conservation laws and Hamilton-Jacobi equations and in the development of the level set method and its applications have had enormous impact across disciplinary boundaries in image processing, control, flow simulation, and many other fields.
- Special Issue in Honor of the 60th Birthday of Stanley Osher, Journal of Scientific Computing, December 2003, Volume 19, Issue 1-3.
- Special Issue Methods and Applications of Analysis, v10, #3, June, 2003, dedicated to Professor Stanley Osher on the occasion of his 60th birthday.
- Awarded 2003 ICIAM Pioneer Prize. SIAM Listing of ICIAM prize winners.
- Shock capturing, level sets, and PDE based methods in computer vision and image processing: a review of Osher's contributions Ronald P. Fedkiw, Guillermo Sapiro, and Chi-Wang Shu, Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 185, Issue 2, 1 March 2003, Pages 309 - 341. View the complete article online: doi:10.1016/S0021-9991(02)00016-5.
- Exploring new directions in scientific computing: Details on the recent four day conference in Hong Kong honoring Stanley Osher.
- Dynamic Visibility and the Level Set Method, SIAM News, Volume 35, Number 4, May 2002.
- Stanley Osher received the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 2002 Computational Mechanics Award "For his long-time contributions to research and service in computational mechanics."
- AFOSR Funded Scientist Wins Pioneer Prize
- Journal of Computational Physics, Top Cited Article