ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
68-113 Engr. IVEmail: email@example.com
Phone: (310) 206-2307
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Biological and Chemical Sensors, Wearable and Flexible Electronics, Microfluidics, MEMs and NEMs Fabrication and Modeling, Internet of Things Devices, Technology Development for Personalized/Precision Medicine
- H. Hojaiji, Y. Zhao, M. C. Gong, M. Mallajosyula, J. Tan, H. Lin, A. M. Hojaiji, S. Lin, C. Milla, A. M. Madni, and S. Emaminejad, "An Autonomous Wearable System for Diurnal Sweat Biomarker Data Acquisition", Lab on a Chip, DOI: 10.1039/D0LC00820F, 2020 (in press).
- H. Lin, J. Tan, J. Zhu, S. Lin, Y. Zhao, W. Yu, H. Hojaiji, B. Wang, S. Yang, X. Cheng, Z. Wang, E. Tang, C. Yeung, and S. Emaminejad, "A programmable epidermal microﬂuidic valving system for wearable bioﬂuid management and contextual biomarker analysis", Nature Communications, 11(1), 1-12, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-020-18238-6, 2020.
- S. Lin, W. Yu, B. Wang, Y. Zhao, K. En, J. Zhu, X. Cheng, C. Zhou, H. Lin, Z. Wang, H. Hojaiji, C. Yeung, C. Milla, R. W. Davis, and S. Emaminejad, "Noninvasive wearable electroactive pharmaceutical monitoring for personalized therapeutics", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117(32), 19017-19025, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2009979117, 2020.
- H. Hojaiji, Y. Zhao, S. Lin, M. C. Gong, M. Mallajosyula, H. Lin, A. M. Hojaiji, A. M. Madni, and S. Emaminejad, "An Autonomous Diurnal Sweat Sampling Patch for Biomarker Data Analytics", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 29(5), 1106-1108, DOI:10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3010537, 2020.
- J. Tan, H. Lin, S. Lin, W. Yu, J. Zhu, Y. Zhao, X. Cheng, S. Yang, E. Tang, and S. Emaminejad, "A Stimuli-responsive Hydrogel Array Fabrication Scheme for Large-scale and Wearable Microfluidic Valving", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 29(5), 1106-1108, DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3008729, 2020.
- Y. Zhao, B. Wang, H, Hojaiji, S. Lin, H. Lin, J. Zhu, C. Yeung, and S. Emaminejad, "An Adhesive and Corrosion-Resistant Biomarker Sensing Film for Biosmart Wearable Consumer Electronics", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 29(5), 1112-1114, DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3012101, 2020.
- S. Lin. X, Cheng, B. Wang, W. Yu, D. Ly, and S. Emaminejad, "A Fouling-Resistant Voltammetric Sensing System for Wearable Electroactive Biomarker Monitoring", IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, 29(5), 1059-1063, DOI: 10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3006829, 2020.
- W. Yu, H. Lin, Y. Wang, X. He, N. Chen, K. Sun, D. Lo, B. Cheng, C. Yeung, J. Tan, D. Di Carlo, and S. Emaminejad, "A ferrobotic system for automated microfluidic logistics", Science Robotics, 5(39), eaba4411, DOI: 10.1126/scirobotics.aba4411, 2020. (Cover)
- Y. Zhao, B. Wang, H. Hojaiji, Z. Wang, S. Lin, C. Yeung, H. Lin, P. Nguyen, K. Chiu, K. Salahi, X. Cheng, J. Tan, B. A. Cerrillos, and S. Emaminejad, "A Wearable Freestanding Electrochemical Sensing System", Science Advances, 6(12), eaaz0007, DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aaz0007, 2019.
- S. Lin, B. Wang, W. Yu, K. Castillo, C. Hoffman, X. Cheng, Y. Zhao, Y. Gao, Z. Wang, H. Lin, H. Hojaiji, J. Tan, and S. Emaminejad, "A Design Framework and Sensing System for Non-invasive Wearable Electroactive Drug Monitoring", ACS Sensors, 5(1), 265-273, DOI: 10.1021/acssensors.9b02233, 2019. (Featured in "Most Read Articles")
- X. Cheng, B. Wang, Y. Zhao, H. Hojaiji, S. Lin, R. Shih, H. Lin, S. Tamayosa, B. Ham, P. Stout, K. Salahi, Z. Wang, C. Zhao, J. Tan, and S. Emaminejad, "A Mediator-free Electroenzymatic Sensing Methodology to Mitigate Ionic and Electroactive Interferents’ Effects for Reliable Wearable Metabolite and Nutrient Monitoring", Advanced Functional Materials, 30(10), 1908507, DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201908507, 2019. (Cover)
- C. Yeung, S. Chen, B. King, H. Lin, K. King, F. Akhtar, G. Diaz, B. Wang, J. Zhu, W. Sun, A. Khademhosseini, and S. Emaminejad, "A 3D-Printed Microfluidic-Enabled Hollow Microneedle Architecture for Transdermal Drug Delivery", Biomicrofluidics, 13(6), 064125, DOI: 10.1063/1.5127778, 2019.
- S. Lin, B. Wang, Y. Zhao, R. Shih, X. Cheng, W. Yu, H. Hojaiji, H. Lin, C. Hoffman, D. Ly, J. Tan, Y. Chen, D. Di Carlo, C. Milla, and S. Emaminejad, "Natural Perspiration Sampling and In-Situ Electrochemical Analysis with Hydrogel Micropatches for User-Identifiable and Wireless Chemo/bio-sensing", ACS Sensors, 5(1), 93-102, DOI: 10.1021/acssensors.9b01727, 2019. (Featured in "Most Read Articles", ACS Editors’ Choice)
- H. Lin, H. Hojaiji, S. Lin, C. Yeung, Y. Zhao, B. Wang, M. Malige, Y. Wang, K. King, W. Yu, J. Tan, Z. Wang, X. Cheng, and S. Emaminejad, "A Wearable Electrofluidic Actuation System", Lab on a Chip, 19, 2966-2972, DOI: 10.1039/C9LC00454H, 2019.
- H. Lin, Y. Zhao, S. Lin, B. Wang, C. Yeung, X. Cheng, Z. Wang, T. Cai, W. Yu, K. King, J. Tan, K. Salahi, H. Hojaiji, and S. Emaminejad, "A Rapid and Low-cost Fabrication and Integration Scheme to Render 3D Microfluidic Architectures for Wearable Biofluid Sampling, Manipulation, and Sensing", Lab on a Chip, 19, 2844-2853, DOI: 10.1039/C9LC00418A, 2019.
- S. Emaminejad, W. Gao, E. Wu, Z. A. Davies, H. Y. Y. Nyein, S. Challa, S. P. Ryan, H. M. Fahad, K. Chen, Z. Shahpar, S. Talebi, C. Milla, A. Javey, R. W. Davis, Autonomous sweat extraction and analysis applied to cystic fibrosis and glucose monitoring using a fully integrated wearable platform , Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114, 4625-4630, 2017.
- W. Gao, S. Emaminejad, H. Y. Y. Nyein, S. Challa, K. Chen, A. Peck, H. M. Fahad, H. Ota, H. Shiraki, D. Kiriya, D.-H. Lien, G. A. Brooks, R. W. Davis, A. Javey, “Fully-integrated wearable sensor arrays for multiplexed in-situ perspiration analysis“, Nature, 529, 509–514, 2016. (first co-author)
- H. Ota, S. Emaminejad, Y. Gao, A. Zhao, E. Wu, S. Challa, K. Chen, H. M. Fahad, A. K. Jha, D. Kiriya, W. Gao, H. Shiraki, K. Morioka, A. R. Ferguson, K. E. Healy, R. W. Davis, A. Javey, “Application of 3D printing for smart objects with embedded electronic sensors and systems“, Advanced Materials Technologies, 1 (1), 1600013, 2016. (first co-author, Cover)
- S. Emaminejad, M. Javanmard, C. Gupta, S. Chang, R. W. Davis, R. T. Howe, “Tunable Control of Antibody Immobilization using Electric Field“, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112 (7), 1995-1999, 2015.
- S. Emaminejad, S. Talebi, R. W. Davis, M. Javanmard, “Multielectrode Sensing for Extraction of Signal from Noise in Impedance Cytometry“, Sensors Journal, IEEE, 15 (5), 2715-2716, 2015.
- S. Emaminejad, M. Javanmard, R. W. Dutton, R. W. Davis, “Multiplexed Actuation Using Ultra Dielectrophoresis for Proteomics Applications: A Comprehensive Electrical and Electrothermal Design Methodology“, Lab on a Chip, 14 (12), 2105-2114, 2014.
- M. Javanmard, S. Emaminejad, C. Gupta, J. Provine, R. W. Davis, R. T. Howe, “Depletion of Cells and Abundant Proteins from Biological Samples by Enhanced Dielectrophoresis“, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 193, 918-924, 2014. (first co-author)
- S. Emaminejad, M. Javanmard, R. W. Dutton, R. W. Davis, “Ultra Dielectrophoresis Using Atomic Layer Deposited Films: Electrothermal Analysis”, ECS Trans., 58(10), 67-72, 2013.
- S. Emaminejad, M. Javanmard, R. W. Dutton, R. W. Davis, “Smart Surface for Elution of Protein–Protein Bound Particles: Nanonewton Dielectrophoretic Forces Using Atomic Layer Deposited Oxides“, Analytical Chemistry, 84(24), 10793-10801, 2012.
- S. Emaminejad, M. Javanmard, R. W. Dutton, R. W. Davis, “Microfluidic diagnostic tool for the developing world: contactless impedance flow cytometry“, Lab on a Chip, 12(21), 4499-4507, 2012.
- M. Javanmard, S. Emaminejad, R. W. Dutton, R. W. Davis, “Use of Negative Dielectrophoresis for Selective Elution of Protein-Bound Particles“, Analytical Chemistry, 84(3), 1432-1438, 2012. (first co-author)
IN THE NEWS
- UCLA Team Uses Magnets, Microfluidics to Create Handheld Molecular Dx System | GenomeWeb, December 2022
- Ferrobots, Roll Out: Miniaturized “Warehouse Robots” Automate Viral Surveillance | GenEng News, December 2022
- Handheld Diagnostic Platform Could Help Combat Epidemics | Physics World, December 2022
- A Handheld Kit Provides Accessible Diagnoses for Future Pandemics | Springwise, December 2022
- Handheld Diagnostic Lab Uses “ferrobots” to Automate Viral Testing | Impact Lab, November 2022
- UCLA Team Uses Magnets, Microfluidics to Create Handheld Molecular Dx System | GenomeWeb, November 2022
- UCLA Team Develops Test Kit to Hasten Disease Diagnosis | The Engineer, November 2022
- Handheld Lab That Can Make Disease Testing Over Ten Times Cheaper | Cosmos Magazine, November 2022
- Handheld Diagnostic Device Could Increase Access to Testing in Future Pandemics | Engineering & Technology, November 2022
- Ferrobots, Roll Out: Miniaturized “Warehouse Robots” Automate Viral Surveillance | Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News, November 2022
- Sensor Could Help Patients Stay on Top of Their Meds | American Chemical Society, August 2022
- Sensor Could Help Patients Stay on Top of Their Meds | Printed Electronics World, August 2022
- Tiny Sensor Can Obtain Information About What's Spreading in the Body to Alleviate Bipolar, Depression Symptoms | The Science Times, August 2022
- Innovation Could Change Lives of People Taking Mental Health Meds | MSN, August 2022
- Sensor Detects Level of Lithium Meds in Patient’s Bodies | Science Daily, August 2022
- Sensor could Help Patients Stay on Top of Their Meds | Mirage News, August 2022
- Human-Machine Interfaces Work Underwater, Generate Their Own Power | Printed Electronics World, August 2022
- Smartwatch That Effectively Measures The Level Of Stress Hormone | Electronics for You, March 2022
- Tech uses sweat to show stress levels | BBC World News, February 2022
- Life-Saving Smartwatch | TalK Zone Internet Talk Radio, September 2020
- Custom smartwatch tracks sweat to personalise mental health treatments | DPA News, August 2020
- Tracking Medication Levels with a Smartwatch | Medical Device Diagnostic Industry, August 2020
- Custom smartwatch tracks drug levels inside the body in real time | Medical Life Science News, August 2020
- This adhesive film for smartwatch can detect metabolites and nutrients in sweat | Slash Gear, August 2020
- This adhesive film for smartwatch can detect metabolites and nutrients in sweat | iCrowd Newswire, June 2020
- UCLA Scientists Develop Adhesive Film to Turn Your Smartwatch Into Metabolism Monitor | Study Finds, June 2020
- Adhesive film turns smartwatch into biochemical health monitoring system | Technology, June 2020
- Ultra-thin film turns smartwatch into health monitoring system | Social News, June 2020
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2020, PATHS-UP Faculty Innovation Seed Fund (Phase II)
- 2020, Innovation Fund
- 2020, UCLA Health Innovation Challenge
- 2019, NSF CAREER Award
- 2019, Senior Member National Academy of Inventors
- 2019, PATHS-UP Faculty Innovation Seed Fund (Phase I)
- 2018, Moore Foundation (gift)
- 2018, Young Alumni Achievement Medal (University of Waterloo)
- 2018, National Academy of Engineering’s 2018 US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium – Invited Participant
- 2018, PhRMA Fellowship (Translational Medicine and Therapeutics Program)
- 2018, UCLA ECE Annual Research Review Best Project Award (in all three categories)
- 2017, P&S Fund Investigator (sponsored by an anonymous donor)
- 2017, NARSAD Young Investigator Award (Brain & Behavior Research Foundation)
- 2017, SGTC Distinguished Young Investigator Award
- 2016, BSAC Best Poster Award
- 2013, IEEE Sensors Conference – Best Paper Award (Track 3)