ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
MECHANICAL AND AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
Associate Dean, Research and Physical Resources
6731H Boelter HallEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (310) 825-4161
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
MEMS and nanoscale devices, fundamental limitations of sensors, micromagnetic devices for advanced light sources, medical instrumentation
- R. Candler, "Beyond Marie Curie: Grace Hopper and the ENIAC Six," in IEEE Potentials, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 10-12, May-June 2020, doi: 10.1109/MPOT.2019.2892012.
- Zhuyun (Maggie) Xiao, Roberto Lo Conte, Maite Goiriena-Goikoetxea, Rajesh V. Chopdekar, Charles-Henri Lambert, Xiang Li, Alpha T. N'Diaye, Padraic Shafer, Sidhant Tiwari, Anthony Barra, Andres Chavez, Kotekar P. Mohanchandra, Gregory P Carman, Kang Wang, Sayeef Salahuddin, Elke Arenholz, Jeffrey Bokor, and Rob N. Candler, "Tunable Magnetoelastic Effect in Voltage-controlled Exchange-coupled Composite Multiferroic Microstructures." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2020).(Invited Review) S. Tiwari, R. N. Candler. "Using flexural MEMS to study and exploit nonlinearities: a review." Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 29, no. 8 (2019): 083002.Z. Xiao, R. Lo Conte, C. Chen, C.-Y. Liang, J. Bokor, G. P. Carman, R. N. Candler “Bi-directional coupling in strain-mediated multiferroic heterostructures with magnetic domains and domain wall motion” Scientific Reports, Vol. 8, (2018) doi:10.1038/s41598-018-23020-2
- J. Harrison, Y. Hwang, O. Paydar, J. Wu, E. Threlkeld, J. Rosenzweig, P. Musumeci, R. N. Candler, “High-gradient MEMS quadrupole electromagnets for particle beam focusing and steering,” Physical Review Special Topics on Accelerators and Beams, In Press.
- J. Harrison, O. H. Paydar, Y. Hwang, J. Wu, E. Threlkeld, J. Rosenzweig, P. Musumeci, R. N. Candler, “Fabrication Process for micromachined multi-pole electromagnets”, JMEMS Letter, Vol. 23, No. 3, 2014.
- O.H. Paydar, C. N. Paredes, Y. Hwang, J. Paz, N. B. Shah, R. N. Candler, “Characterization of 3D-printed microﬂuidic chip interconnects with integrated O-rings,” Sensors and Actuators A, 205, 199–203, 2014.
- Y. Hwang, H. Sohn, A. Phan, O. M. Yaghi, R. N. Candler, “Dielectrophoresis-Assembled Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework Nanoparticle-Coupled Resonators for Highly Sensitive and Selective Gas Detection,” Nanoletters, 13 (11), pp. 5271-5276, 2013
- J. Lake, A. Duwel, R. N. Candler, “Particle Swarm Optimization for Design of Slotted MEMS Resonators with Low Thermoelastic Dissipation”, Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 23, Issue 2, pp. 364-371, 2013.
- J. Harrison, A. Joshi, J. Lake, R. N. Candler, P. Musumeci, “Surface-micromachined magnetic undulator with period length between 10 μm and 1 mm for advanced light sources,” Physical Review Special Topics on Accelerators and Beams, vol. 15, issue 7, pp. 070703, 2012.
- R.N. Candler, “Etiquette for Engineers: Tips for Getting a Great Letter of Recommendation,” IEEE Potentials, Vol 30, no. 4, pp. 14-16, 2011.
- R.N. Candler, “Stuff Most Students Never Ask About Grad School,” IEEE Potentials, vol. 24, pp. 4-10, 2005.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Lockheed Martin Excellence in Teaching Award (2020)
- Senior Member, National Academy of Inventors (2020)
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineers (2019)
- NSF Career Award for his research entitled, “Microscale Magnetic Devices for Next Generation Coherent X-Ray Sources”. (2014)
- W.M. Keck Foundation Research Grant (2014)
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award for his research entitled, “Energy Dissipation in Nanomechanical Resonators”. (2012)
- Northrop Grumman Excellence in Teaching Award (2012)