RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Electric and micro propulsion, low temperature plasma and plasma discharges, spacecraft and space mission design, alternative energy generation and storage.
Google Scholar page
NASA Tech Briefs
- Wirz R.E., Aspe S., “Integrated Wind Turbine,” Patent No. US 9,228,564, Jan. 05, 2016
- Wirz R.E., “Accelerator System and Method for Accelerating Particles,” Patent No. US 7,773,362 B1, Aug. 10, 2010
- Wirz R.E., “Internally Conductively-Heated Cathode,” Patent No. US 7,471,035 B2, Dec. 30, 2008
- Conversano R.W., Goebel D.M., Wirz R.E., “Magnetically Shielded Miniature Hall Thruster,” Patent Application No. US 14/506,635, filed Oct 4, 2014
- Wirz R.E., Stopin A., Tse L.A., Lavine A.S., Kavehpour H.P., Lakeh R.B., Furst B., Bran-Anleu G. , Garcia-Garibay M.A., “High-Density, High-Temperature Thermal Energy Storage And Retrieval ,” Patent Application No. US 14/475479 , filed Sept 02, 2014
NASA Tech Briefs
- Wirz R., Gamero, Goebel D., “Pulsed Operation of an Ion Accelerator,” NASA Tech Brief, NPO-44961, pg. 52, Vol. 33, No. 2, Feb 2009.
- Goebel D., Polk J. E., Wirz R., “Increasing the Life of a Xenon-Ion Spacecraft Thruster,” NASA Tech Brief, NPO-43495, Vol. 31, No. 11, Nov 2007.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE
- Power & Energy Society
- Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society
- Sigma Gamma Tau, Aerospace Honor Society
- Electric Rocket Propulsion Society, ERPS
- American Solar Energy Society, ASES
- Part-time Senior Engineer at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory at the California Institute of Technology