MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Phone: (310) 206-0267
Fax: (310) 206-7353
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Materials Integration of Semiconductors, Metals, and Optical Materials; High resolution X-ray scattering: Electron Microscopy and Spectroscopy; Ion Implantation; Wide Bandgap Semiconductors; Electrical and Thermal Transport Engineering at Interfaces, Chemical-Mechanical Polishing
- Our research projects focus on the relationship between structural and chemical irregularities in solid state electronic materials and the effect that these defects have on the performance of devices fabricated from these materials. Our research often involves collaboration with industrial and government laboratories to provide a synergistic effort to study these issues. In particular, we use non-destructive techniques to study the behavior of defects in these structures.
- Our primary efforts in materials integration include:
- Electrical and thermal transport across epitaxial and bonded heterojunctions. We have pioneered techniques to produce low resistance interfaces and this approach has been utilized by other to produce world-record solar cell efficiencies.
- Thermocompression bonding of Cu-Cu and Au-Au terminated later structures through fundamental studies of the roles of surface morphology, compressive force, temperature, and phase transformations. This approach enables Heterogeneous Integration and Performance Scaling by integrating small dielets onto an engineered substrate at pitches comparable to on-chip wiring levels.
- Thermal transport across dissimilar materials such as diamond-GaN interfaces and engineering these interfaces to reduce thermal barrier resistance through analysis of the nano-scale chemical and structural properties of the interfaces.
- Wide bandgap materials can be used to produce devices that outperform commercial devices by operating at higher voltages, temperatures and frequencies. These devices will have significant impact in the areas consumer electronics, the electricity grid, power supplies, solar and wind power, automotive, ship propulsion, and aerospace. We are addressing ion implantation for selective dopant activation, epitaxial regrowth, and bonding GaN to other materials to provide a path to high performance.
- Porous semiconductors represent an underutilized class of materials – we are exploiting porous semiconductors in the areas of epitaxial liftoff and layer transfer and targeted drug delivery vehicles for medical applications.
- Advanced characterization techniques are utilized in collaborations to produce unique and high performance materials structures for solar cells and flexible substrates.
- Electronic materials processing, advanced characterization and analysis, property-performance-structure relationships in semiconductors, metals, and optical materials.
- Scott, Ethan A., Khalid Hattar, Jeffrey L. Braun, Christina M. Rost, John T. Gaskins, Tingyu Bai, Yekan Wang, Claire Ganski, Mark Goorsky, and Patrick E. Hopkins. "Orders of magnitude reduction in the thermal conductivity of polycrystalline diamond through carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen ion implantation." Carbon 157 97-105 (2020)
- Wang, Yekan, Tingyu Bai, Chao Li, Marko J. Tadjer, Travis J. Anderson, Jennifer K. Hite, Michael A. Mastro, and Mark Goorsky. "Defect Characterization of Multicycle Rapid Thermal Annealing Processed p-GaN for Vertical Power Devices." ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology 8, no. 2 P70-P76 (2019)
- Tanaka, Koichi, Angel Aleman, Michael E. Liao, Yekan Wang, Mark S. Goorsky, and Suneel Kodambaka. "Effects of ultra-low ethylene partial pressure on microstructure and composition of reactively sputter-deposited Ta–C thin films." Thin Solid Films 688 137440 (2019)
- Tadjer, Marko J., Travis J. Anderson, Mario G. Ancona, Peter E. Raad, Pavel Komarov, Tingyu Bai, James C. Gallagher, Mark Goorsky et al. "GaN-On-Diamond HEMT Technology With T AVG= 176° C at P DC, max= 56 W/mm Measured by Transient Thermoreflectance Imaging." IEEE Electron Device Letters 40, no. 6 881-884 (2019)
- Cheng, Zhe, Yee Rui Koh, Habib Ahmad, Renjiu Hu, Jingjing Shi, Michael Liao, Yekan Wang Mark Goorsky, et al. "Thermal Conductance across Harmonic-Matched Epitaxial Al-Sapphire Heterointerfaces." Applied Physics 1 (2019).
- Cheng, Zhe, Tingyu Bai, Jingjing Shi, Tianli Feng, Yekan Wang, Matthew Mecklenburg, Chao Li , Mark S. Goorsky, et al. "Tunable Thermal Energy Transport across Diamond Membranes and Diamond-Si Interfaces by Nanoscale Graphoepitaxy." ACS applied materials & interfaces (2019)
- Liao, Michael E., Chao Li, Hsuan Ming Yu, Eva Rosker, Marko J. Tadjer, Karl D. Hobart, and Mark S. Goorsky. "Coefficients of thermal expansion of single crystalline β-Ga2O3 and in-plane thermal strain calculations of various materials combinations with β-Ga2O3." APL Materials 7, no. 2 022517 (2019)
- Liao, Michael E., Yekan Wang, Tingyu Bai, and Mark S. Goorsky. "Exfoliation of β-Ga2O3 Along a Non-Cleavage Plane Using Helium Ion Implantation." ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology 8, no. 11 P673-P676 (2019)
- Aleman, Angel; Li, Chao; Zaid, Hicham; Kindlund, Hanna; Fankhauser, Joshua; Prikhodko, Sergey V; Goorsky, Mark S; Kodambaka, Suneel, “Ultrahigh vacuum dc magnetron sputter-deposition of epitaxial Pd(111)/Al2O3(0001) thin films” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 36 (3) 30602 (2018)
- Sood, Aditya; Cheaito, Ramez; Bai, Tingyu; Kwon, Heungdong; Wang, Yekan; Li, Chao; Yates, Luke; Bougher, Thomas; Graham, Samuel; Asheghi, Mehdi; Goorsky, Mark; Goodson, Kenneth E. “Direct Visualization of Thermal Conductivity Suppression Due to Enhanced Phonon Scattering Near Individual Grain Boundaries.” Nano letters. (2018)
- Cheng, Z. ; Bougher, T; Bai, TY; Wang, SY; Li, C; Yates, L, Foley, BM; Goorsky, M; Cola, BA; Faili, F; Graham, S., “Probing Growth-Induced Anisotropic Thermal Transport in High-Quality CVD Diamond Membranes by Multifrequency and Multiple-Spot-Size Time-Domain Thermoreflectance” ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES 10 (5) 4808 (2018)
- Goorsky, M.S., Schjolberg-Henriksen, K., Beekley, B., Bai, TY, Mani, K. Ambhore, P., Bajwa, A., Malik, N.,Iyer, SS “Characterization of interfacial morphology of low temperature, low pressure Au-Au thermocompression bonding” Japanese J. Appl. Phys. 57 (2) (2018)
- Rosker, ES; Sandhu, R; Hester, J; Goorsky, MS; Tice, J “Printable Materials for the Realization of High Performance RF Components: Challenges and Opportunities” Int. J. Antennas and Propagation 9359528 (2018)
- Li, C; Shahriarian, F; Goorsky, MS. “Grazing-incidence small angle x-ray scattering, x-ray reflectivity, and atomic force microscopy: A combined approach to assess atomic-layer-deposited Al2O3 dielectric films” J. Vac. Sci. Technol A 36 (1) (2018).
- Anaya, J.; Bai, T.; Wang, Y. Li, C. ; Goorsky, M. Bougher, T.L., Yates, L., Cheng, Z., Graham, C.S., Hobart, K.D., Feygelson, T.I., Tadjer, M.J., Anderson, T.J., Pate, B.B., Kuball, M. “Simultaneous determination of the lattice thermal conductivity and grain/grain thermal resistance in polycrystalline diamond” Acta Materiala 139 215 (2017)
- Xin, Wenbo; Yang, Jenn-Ming; Li, Chao; Goorsky, Mark S., Carlson, Larry, De Rosa, Igor M., “Novel Strategy for One-Pot Synthesis of Gold Nanoplates on Carbon Nanotube Sheet As an Effective Flexible SERS Substrate” ACS Appl. Mat. & Interfaces9 (7) 6246 (2017)
- Goorsky, M. S.; Bai, T.; Li, C.; ; Tadjer, M., Hobart, K., Anderson, T.J. , Hite, J.K. Feigelson, B.N. “Novel Implantation Processing and Characterization for Scalable GaN Power Devices”, ECS Transactions 80 (7) 251 (2017)
- Chang, Yoon Jung; Simmonds, Paul J.; Beekley, Brett, Goorsky, Mark S., Woo, Jason C. S., “Selective-area growth of heavily n-doped GaAs nanostubs on Si(001) by molecular beam epitaxy”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 108 (16) (2016).
- Alaskar, Yazeed, Arafin, Shamsul, Lin, Qiyin, Wickramaratne, Darshana, Mckay, Jeff, Norman, Andrew G., Zhang, Zhi, Yao, Luchi, Ding, Feng, Zou, Jin. Goorsky, Mark S., Lake, Roger K., Zurbuchen, Mark A., Wang, Kang L J. “Theoretical and experimental study of highly textured GaAs on silicon using a graphene buffer layer”, J. Crystal Growth, 425 68-273 (2015)
- Rim, You Seung, Yang, Y (Micheal), , Bae, Sang-Hoon, Chen, Huajun, Li, Chao, Goorsky, Mark S., Yang, Yang, “Ultrahigh and Broad Spectral Photodetectivity of an Organic-Inorganic Hybrid Phototransistor for Flexible Electronics”, Advanced Materials, 27 (43) 6885- (2015)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- UCLA Distinguished Teaching Award (University-wide), 2016
- Harvey L. Eby Award for the “Art of Teaching” (University-wide), 2016
- Science Foundation Ireland E.T.S. Walton Visitor Award, 2009
- Fellow, Romanian Materials Research Society, 2007
- UCLA Center for Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED) award for Outstanding Service to K-16 Science Education, 2000
- Northrop Grumman Outstanding Young Researcher Award, School of Engineering and Applied Science, 1996
- National Science Foundation CAREER AWARD, 1995-2000
- TRW Outstanding Young Teacher Award, School of Engineering and Applied Science, 1993
- US Air Force Science Advisory Board
- Chair, Review of Air Force Office of Scientific Research
- Chair, Review of Materials and Manufacturing Directorate
- Studies: Sustaining Air Force Aging Aircraft in the 21st Century, Electro-optical, Infra-red and Laser Threat Warning Countermeasures, and Technology Readiness for Hypersonic Vehicles
- Electronic Materials Conference, Program Chair, Conference Chair
- Associate Editor, Journal of Crystal Growth