PROFESSOR / DEPARTMENT CHAIR
Engineering VI - Room 461Email:
Phone: (310) 825-3211
Fax: (310) 794-5057
Link to Personal Home Page
Dr. Gafni was born in Tel-Aviv, Israel. He received his Bs.C from the Technion, Israel in 1972, and Ms and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering in 1979 and 1982, from the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, and M.I.T, respectively. In 1982 he joined the UCLA computer science faculty. Dr. Gafni was the recipient of a 1983 IBM Faculty Development Award, and a 1984 NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award. His research interests include distributed algorithms, mathematical programming with application to distributed routing and control of data networks, and computer science theory.
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
- Foundations of Distributed-Computing.
- Structuring of Distributed Programs to facilitate verification.
- Identifying building-blocks and designing simulations schemes for distributed algorithms.
- Bs.C, the Technion, Israel (1972)
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (1979)
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, M.I.T (1982)
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Dijkstra Prize - 2017
- Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing Honor - 2010
- CS280 - Distributed Algorithms
- CS180 - Algorithms and Complexity
- CS219 - Cryptography