Asad M. Madni
DISTINGUISHED ADJUNCT PROFESSOR
ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING
Engr. IV #58-116Email:
Phone: (310) 825-1104
RESEARCH AND INTERESTS
Intelligent sensors, systems and instrumentation, wireless sensor networks, signal processing, and MEMS; applications for medical, automotive safety, aerospace, radar, electronic warfare, and US combat readiness.
Selected Publications and Patents
Over 200 publications and 69 issued or pending patents
- Madni, Asad M., & Costlow, Lynn, E., "Quartz MEMS Gyroscope Sensors" – Encyclopedia of Sensors, July 2006, pp.395-446. American Scientific Publishers. B) Madni, Asad M., & Costlow, Lynn E., "Common Design Techniques for BEI GyroChipÒ Quartz Rate Sensors for Both Automotive and Aerospace/Defence Markets" – IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 3, No. 5 October 2003, pp. 569-578 (US Patents # 7,360,422; # 8,113.050). World's first commercialized MEMS gyroscope and inertial measurement unit for aerospace and automotive safety, established BEI as world's largest producer of MEMS yaw sensors for cars.
- Madni Asad M., Vuong Jim B., Yang Daniel C., & Huang Bin, "A Differential Capacitive Torque Sensor with Optimal Kinematic Linearity" – IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No.5, pp. 800-807, May 2007. B) Huang Bin, Yang Daniel C.H., Madni Asad M., & Vuong Jim B., "Multi-Electrode Differential Capacitive Sensors - Model Simulation with Design Application" – IEEE Sensors Journal, Volume 13, No. 4, pp. 1371-1379, April 2013. (US Patents # 5,753,828; # 6, 520 031; # 6,564,654; # 6, 772, 646; # 6, 955, 097; # 6,304, 076 ; # 7, 449, 894 ). Torque and position sensors for advanced steering wheel control in intelligent vehicles.
- Madni, Asad M., & Jumper, Mike., "An Extremely SlowMotion Servo Control Technique Used in the Hubble Space Telescope's Star Selector Servo Subsystem” – Proceedings, 1997 NASA University Research Centers Technical Conference (URC-TC), February 16-19, 1997, pp. 483-490. B) Madni, Asad M., Jumper, Mike, & Malcolm, Tim, "An Absolute High Performance, Self Calibrating Optical Rotary Positioning System" – Proceedings, 2001 IEEE Aerospace Conference, March 10-17, 2001, Vol. 5, pp. 2363-2373. Provides HST with a pointing accuracy equivalent to pointing at the face of a US 1/4 dollar as seen from 150 miles away with a pointing stability less than the width of the 1/4 dollar over a 24 hour period.
- Madni, Asad M., & Wan, Lawrence A., "Velocity Deception Apparatus and Method Therefor" – US Patent # 5,003,312, issued March 26, 1991 (Supporting US Patents # 5,345,239; # 5,111,206) B) Madni, Asad M. & Nyiri, Ernest J., "Low Cost, High Resolution Serrodynable Solid-State Amplifier System for ECM Applications" – 1982 Handbook of Electronic Countermeasures, Microwave Exhibitions and Publishers Ltd, England.The system is in use worldwide in numerous countermeasures applications including US DOD’s highly successful AN/ULQ-21 countermeasures set & defensive avionics of the B-1B Bomber.
- Madni, Asad M. & Hornoch, Zoltan Tarczy, "Microprocessor Based Fault Finder Pinpoints Transmission Line Faults Within Inches…and Within Minutes" – Cover Feature, Microwave Journal, Vol. 24, No. 11, Nov. 1981, pp. 49 - 57 (US Patent # 4,630,228, issued December 6, 1986, "Transmission Line Analyzer for Automatically Identifying the Severities and Locations of Multiple Mismatches" ). The correlation & interpolation techniques of microwave signals is still a landmark achievement in overcoming the limitations of Time and Frequency Domain Reflectometry techniques.
- Madni, Asad M., McDonald, Patrick T., Hansen, Robert K., & Wan, Lawrence A , "High-Dynamic-Range Airborne Tracking and Fire Control Radar Subsystems" – IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 12, Dec.1989, pp. 1942-1948. Significantly upgraded the capabilities of the Combat Talon II Radar.
- Madni, Asad M., Vuong, Jim B., & Wells, Roger F., " The Next Generation Position Sensing Technology, Part 1: Theory and Design" – Sensors, The Journal of Applied Sensing Technology, Cover Feature, March 2001, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 42-55. Part 2: Differential Displacement and Linear Capabilities"–Sensors, The Journal of Applied Sensing Technology, Cover Feature, April 2001, Vol.18, No. 4, pp. 61-65.
- Madni, Asad M., Vuong, Jim B., Lopez, Mike, & Wells, Roger F., "A Smart Rotary Actuator for Forward-Looking, Radar Based, Adaptive Cruise Control"– SAE 2002 Transactions, Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronics & Electrical Systems, Paper No. 2002-01-1882, pp.720-725.
- Madni, Asad M., Prasanna Sridhar and Jamshidi, Mo, "Fault-Tolerant Data Acquisition in Sensor Networks" – Proceedings, IEEE SMC International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SoSE) Paper No.307, April 16-18, 2007.
- Prasanna Sridhar, Madni, Asad M., & Jamshidi, Mo, "Heirarchical Aggregation and Intelligent Monitoring and Control in Fault- Tolerant Wireless Sensor Networks" – Inaugural Issue, IEEE Systems Journal, Volume 1, No.1, pp. 38-54, Sept 2007.
- Madni, Asad M., Chalasani Suresh & Boppana Rajendra V., "Guest Editorial, RFID Technology: Opportunities and Challenges" – IEEE Systems Journal, Special Issue on RFID Technology, Vol.1, No. 2, pp. 78-81, December 2007.
- Madni Asad M., Rahnama Hossein & Sadeghian Alireza, "Invited Paper: Self - Adaptive Middleware for Building Context-Aware Software for Public Transit Systems" – Proceedings, 4th International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing (ISCCSP), paper No. 12, March 3-5, 2010.
- Rahnama Hossein, Sadeghian Alireza, and Madni Asad M.," Relational Attribute Integrated Matching Analysis (RAIMA): A Framework for the Design of Self-Adaptive Egocentric Social Networks". IEEE Systems Journal, Volume 5, No. 1, pp. 80-90, March 2011.
- Brandon W. Buckley, Asad M. Madni, and Bahram Jalali, "Coherent Time-Stretch Transformation for Real Time Capture of Wideband Signals"-- Optic Express Journal, Volume 21, No.18, pp. 21618-21627, September 6, 2013.
- Madni Asad M., "IEEE AESS 2012 Pioneer Award: Evolution of Aerospace Systems Through Advancements in Electronic Miniaturization and Digital Signal Processing Technologies" – IEEE Aerospace & Electronic Systems Journal, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 4-13, May 2013. Preserved in the IEEE Historical Archives in honor of his receiving IEEE AESS's highest honor-- Pioneer Award.
- Yannis A. Phillis, Asad M. Madni, Evangelos Grigoroudis, Fotis Kanellos, Vassilis S. Kourkoglou, and Spiros Papaefthimiou, "Why Climate Action is Urgent"-- The Bridge, Journal of US National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies. Fall 2014 issue, pp. 30 - 37.
- Madni, Asad M., Shahnawaz Iftikhar, & Vuong, Jim B., "Application of Artificial Neural Networks To Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) Traffic Control" – Proceedings, 2000 World Automation Congress, June 11-16, 2000, pp. 355-364. Winner of the Joseph F. Engelberger Best Paper Award in the Soft Computing Track.
- Cejo K. Lonappan, Brandon Buckley, Daniel Lam, Asad M. Madni, and Bahram Jalali, "Time Stretch Accelerated Processor for Real-time, In-service High Bandwidth Signal Analysis"- Proceedings, IEEE GlobalSIP 2014, the 2nd IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing : Advances in Signal Processing for Mixed - Signal and Optical Sensing: Hardware to Algorithms, pp. 707-711, Atlanta, Georgia, December 3-5, 2014.
- Daniel Lam, Brandon W. Buckley, Cejo K. Lonappan, Asad M. Madni, and Bahram Jalali, "Ultra-Wideband Instantaneous Frequency Estimation" -- IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Magazine, pp. 26-30, April 2015.
- Cejo K. Lonappan, Asad M. Madni, and Bahram Jalali, "Single-shot Network Analyzer for Extremely Fast Measurements"-- Applied Optics, Volume 25, issue 30, pp. 8406-8412, 2016.
- Tham Donald K.and Madni Asad M., " SOX Compliance with OEE, Enterprise Modleing and Temporal - ABC"-- AutoSoft Journal, Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Volume 24, issue 1, pp. 17-25. Taylor and Francis Group, 2018.
- Supratik Mukhopadhyay, S. S. Iyengar, Asad M. Madni and Robert Di Biano, "The Next Generation of Artificial Intelligence: Synthesizable AI" – Paper 58, Session 17: Intelligent Systems, Proceedings, Future Technologies Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada, November 13-14, 2018.
- Zhuoya Bai,Cejo Konuparambam Lonappan, Asad M. Madni and Bahram Jalali., "Photonic-assisted Network Analyzer for High Throughput Electronic Device Characterization" – SPIE Photonics West, Conference on Photonic Instrumentation Engineering VI, February 2-7, 2019.
- Zhuoya Bai, Cejo Konuparamban Lonappan, Asad M. Madni, and Bahram Jalali, “Time-stretch Network Analyzer for Single-shot Characterization of Electron Devices” – Conference on Lasers and Electro-optics, session on Imaging, Microscopy, and Specialized Detection, San Jose Convention Center, May 5-10, 2019.
- Zhuoya Bai, Cejo Konuparamban Lonappan, Tianwei Jiang, Asad M. Madni, Fengping Yan and Bahram Jalali, "Tera-sample-per second single-shot device analyzer" Optic Express, Volume 27, issue 16, pp. 23321-23335, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.27.023321 (US Patent No. 10,746,630 B2 ). World's fastest network analyzer reported for device characterization.
- Mazzolin Robert and Madni Asad, “A Survey of Contemporary Cyber Security Vulnerabilities and Potential Approaches to Automated Defence" -- Paper No. 1570592852, SYSCON 2020 IEEE International Systems Conference, Montreal, Canada, April 20-23, 2020.
- Hannaneh Hojaiji, Yichao Zhao, Max C. Gong, Mudith Mallajosyula, Amir M Hojaiji, Asad M. Madni, and Sam Emaminejad, “A Monolithic Wearable System Design Methodology For Physiological Actuation And Electrochemical Sensing”, The 24th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences (µTAS 2020). Chemical and Biological Microsystems Society (CBMS), October 4-9, 2020.
- Hannaneh Hojaiji, Yichao Zhao, Shuyu Lin, Max C. Gong, Mudith Allajosyula, Haisong Lin, Amir M. Hojaiji, Asad M. Madni and Sam Emaminejad, “An Autonomous Diurnal Sweat Sampling Patch for Biomarker Data Analytics”—IEEE Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Print ISSN: 1057- 7157, Online ISSN: 1941-0158, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/JMEMS.2020.3010537.
- Achuta Kadambi and Asad M. Madni,"Artificial Intelligence: From Ancient Greeks to Self-Driving Cars and Beyond"—5oth Anniversary Commemorative Issue of The Bridge (Linking Engineering and Society), Quarterly Journal of the National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies. 2020.
- Shrikanth (Shri) Narayanan and Asad M. Madni,"Inclusive Human-centered Machine Intelligence"—50th Anniversary Commemorative Issue of The Bridge (Linking Engineering and Society), Quarterly Journal of the National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies. 2020.
• University of California Los Angeles, TMP, Technical Management Program, 2008 • Stanford University, School of Law, Director's College, 2003 • Harvard John F. Kennedy School of Government, Promoting Innovation and Organizational Change, 2001 • Harvard Law School, The Program on Negotiation for Senior Executives, 1994 • MIT Sloan School of Management, SE, Program for Senior Executives, 1990. • California Coast University, Ph.D., 1987. • California Institute of Technology, EMP, Engineering Management Program, 1987. • Stanford University, Executive Institute, 1984. • University of California Los Angeles, M.S., 1972. • University of California Los Angeles, B.S., 1969. • RCA Institutes, Inc., A.A.S (T-3), 1968.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 2020, International Fellow, UK Royal Academy of Engineering
- 2020, Soichiro Honda Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 2020, Industrial Innovation Award, IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society
- 2020, Phi Beta Delta, Honor Society for International Scholars
- 2019, Honorary Fellowship, Royal Aeronautical Society
- 2019, European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2019, Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2019, IEEE HKN Asad M. Madni Outstanding Technical Achievement and Excellence Award, Established in Honor of his Visionary Leadership and Pioneering Contributions
- 2019, IEEE Frederik Philips Award
- 2018, Hind Rattan (“Jewel of India”) Award, Government of India NRI Welfare Society
- 2018, Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- 2017, Heritage Society Medal, National Academy of Engineering
- 2017, Vladimir Karapetoff Outstanding Technical Achievement Award, IEEE – Eta Kappa Nu (HKN)
- 2017, Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Samman Gold Medal, Government of India NRI Welfare Society
- 2017, Fellow, Royal Aeronautical Society (UK)
- 2017, Gordon Medal for Engineering Leadership, University of California San Diego
- 2016, Visionary Leadership Award, IEEE San Fernando Valley Section
- 2016, Chair Professor, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- 2016, Ph.D. (h.c.), National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- 2016, Dean’s Faculty Award for Service, USC, Viterbi School of Engineering
- 2016, Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- 2015, Honorary Professorship, University of Texas San Antonio
- 2015, Eminent Member Recognition, IEEE – Eta Kappa Nu (HKN)
- 2015, J. J. Thomson Medal, Institute of Engineering and Technology (UK) (IET)
- 2015, Ph.D. (h.c.), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (The National University of Malaysia)
- 2014, Visiting Professor, Institute of Microengineering and Nanoelectronics (IMEN), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- 2014, Honorary Member, Golden Key, International Society
- 2014, Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
- 2014, Einstein Society Award, National Academy of Engineering
- 2014, Distinguished Alumni Award, Tau Beta Pi, The National Engineering Honor Society
- 2014, Honorary Professorship, University of Waikato, New Zealand
- 2014, Honorary Professorship, Technical University of Crete
- 2014, Medal of Honor and Co-Honoree, World Automation Congress (WAC)
- 2013, Distinguished Alumni Award, UCLA Electrical Engineering Department
- 2013, Distinguished Service Award, UCLA Electrical Engineering Department
- 2013, Honorary Member, Phi Kappa Phi, Interdisciplinary Honor Society
- 2013, Sc.D. (h.c.), California State University and California State University, Northridge
- 2013, Lifetime Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- 2013, Life Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 2012, Pioneer Award, IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society
- 2012, D.Eng. (h.c.), Technical University of Crete, Chania, Greece
- 2011, US National Academy of Engineering
- 2010, Career Excellence Award, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society
- 2010, Lifetime Contribution Award, UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
- 2009, D.Sc. (h.c.), Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
- 2009, Honorary Member, Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Honor Society for Computing & Information Disciplines
- 2009, Eta Kappa Nu, The National Electrical and Computer Engineering Honor Society
- 2009, Tau Alpha Pi, The National Engineering Technology Honor Society
- 2008, Delta Epsilon Tau (DET), International Honor Society
- 2008, Outstanding Engineer Award, IEEE Region 6
- 2008, Outstanding Engineer Award, IEEE Region 6 South
- 2008, Outstanding Leadership and Professional Service Award, IEEE Region 6 South
- 2008, Eminent Engineer, Tau Beta Pi, The National Engineering Honor Society
- 2008, Distinguished Service Award, UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
- 2007, Marconi Medal, TCI College of Technology
- 2006, Lifetime Achievement Award, World Automation Congress
- 2006, Fellow, Society of Automotive Engineers
- 2006, Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology (UK)
- 2005, Achievement Medal, Institution of Engineering & Technology (UK)
- 2005, Lifetime Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- 2004, Alumnus of the Year Award, UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
- 2004, Distinguished Engineering Achievement Award, Engineers’ Council
- 2003, George Washington Engineer of the Year Award, Los Angeles Council of Engineers & Scientists
- 2002, Professional Achievement Award Medal, University of California Los Angeles
- 2002, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2001, Distinguished Alumni Award, California Coast University
- 2000, Third Millennium Medal, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 2000, Fellow, New York Academy of Science
- 2000, Fellow, Institute for the Advancement of Engineering
- 2000, Joseph F. Engelberger Best Paper Award, World Automation Congress
- 1999, Fellow, Institution of Electrical Engineers (UK)
- 1998, Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- 1992, Gold Certificate of Merit, Association of Old Crows
- Featured guest on numerous television shows including CNN with Casey Wyan and BizNews 1 (now CNBC) with Mike Russell.
- Listed in all major Who’s Who publications including Who’s Who in America, Who's Who in the World, Who's Who in Science & Engineering, Who's Who in Technology, Who's Who in Finance & Industry, International Who's Who of Intellectuals, 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century, 2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 21st Century, Outstanding People of the 21st Century, and Asia Men and Women of Achievement.