UCLA Samueli COVID-19 Information

This webpage is designed to answer frequently asked questions from students, faculty and staff at UCLA Samueli School of Engineering regarding the impacts of COVID-19. We will refresh the page as quickly as possible when new information becomes available. This page was last updated on August 25, 2020. For real-time updates from the university, please visit Bruins Safe Online.

University Status:

Q: Is the school still open? Are campus tours being offered? What campus life activities will UCLA offer in the fall?
A: Due to the “Safer at Home” order on March 19 by Los Angeles County and the City of Los Angeles, UCLA decided to suspend all on-campus operations with the exception of those that are essential and cannot be conducted remotely, effective 11:59 p.m., March 20. In mid-August, UCLA announced its revised plans for the fall quarter. Updates will continue to be posted as soon as information becomes available. Please visit UCLA’s COVID-19 resources page for the latest information on the pandemic and Bruins Safe Online for campus safety protocols and guidelines.

At present, we plan to offer remote instruction for the fall, with the exception of required, advanced courses that provide training for students preparing for essential workforce jobs, and which cannot be conducted remotely. We will continue to follow guidance from public health authorities to determine the best course of action. Please contact Student Affairs Office at 310-825-9580 and individual departments for online service or virtual appointments.

Unfortunately, campus tours and engineering ambassador tours are both suspended during this time. One of our engineering school ambassadors led a virtual tour, and campus is now offering live virtual tours. Campus undergraduate orientation is underway and we are currently planning graduate virtual orientation school-wide and by departments and will share that information as soon as possible. UCLA will continue to offer a wide range of student and campus life activities as well as co-curricular programming in accordance with public health guidelines.

New Students:

Q: Are new student programs still available? Can I defer my enrollment? Where do I send my transcripts?
A: All new student programs have been moved online. Please visit the New Student Programs website for details. Enrollment is going on right now. For incoming students, each student will have a different enrollment time.

On a case-by-case basis, students may submit a written request for a deferment to another term if they have significant extenuating circumstances. For students deferring to winter or spring, there could be issues with obtaining classes due to missing specific prerequisites taught in the fall.

Undergraduate students should send their transcript to undergraduate admissions. Graduate students should send final official transcripts directly to their department for processing. Your specific department should provide you with their physical address.

International Students:

Q: How does moving to an online-only format affect me as an international student or scholar? What if I can’t get a visa for the fall? Can I register as a part-time student?
A: While F and J visa regulations limit online course enrollment for purposes of visa compliance, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has approved exceptions that accommodate online courses for students attending institutions that have made COVID-19 adaptations. The Dashew Center will continue maintenance of valid immigration status for students who maintain full-time enrollment (undergraduate students – 12 units minimum; graduate students – 8 units minimum) despite the transition to online instruction. The center also has its own COVID-19 information web page. Continuing international students will maintain valid F-1 status within the U.S. and overseas with full-time online enrollment for the fall term. Incoming international students are also allowed to enroll and take classes remotely for the fall quarter. There may be potential issues with logging into the VPN, as some countries might have restrictions for logging into servers overseas. We ask students to work with individual departments to resolve these issues. For other questions, please visit the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars’ website for updates. Continuing students, in order to maintain immigration status, are required to enroll full-time. For incoming students, there are no regulatory issues in the way of enrolling part-time, and it will be up to each department to approve requests for part-time enrollment.
Q: If I completed my B.S. degree in the U.S. and attend fall quarter at UCLA remotely (in my home country), am I still eligible for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) for the next summer?
A: Under the current regulations and requirements by the federal government, if an international student is overseas and engages in a full course of study in the fall, that fall quarter will not count toward the one academic year requirement to engage in CPT. For example, if a student does online study for fall and attends classes in person for winter and spring, they will not be eligible to do CPT next summer. The next eligible term would be winter 2022.
Q: Are there any restrictions against attending online courses for students located in countries or regions subject to OFAC sanctions like Iran, Syria, Cuba, North Korea and the Crimea region of Ukraine?
A: There are restrictions preventing graduate students located in these areas from taking remote classes. Without an export license, UCLA is prohibited from providing remote instruction to graduate students living in any of these areas, including U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents and U.S. dual citizens. UCLA is also prohibited from providing remote instruction to graduate students who are from these countries, regardless of their current location. The only exception will be for students who normally reside in a non-sanctioned state are physically located there during their instruction. Students who are physically located in the U.S. will also be allowed to proceed with remote instruction. The current recommendation is for graduate students from affected countries who are unable to enter or return to the U.S. to work with their programs to defer matriculation (incoming students) or request a leave of absence (continuing students). If you have any questions regarding deferred matriculation for incoming students, please have the department SAO contact Susan Smith at . For continuing students, please contact .
Q: I am an incoming international student. Will I be able to live in the U.S. while I study remotely?
A: Under current rules, newly admitted international students may only come to the U.S. if they are taking at least one class in person – whether or not they have a visa. With the heightened restriction on in-person classes, this means most incoming international students will not qualify to travel or stay in the U.S. UCLA is currently recommending that international students, aside from those required by their major to take one of the few in-person classes, should stay in their home country. Reach out to the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars with any further questions.

Enrollment and Classes:

Q: What are the enrollment policies in the summer and fall? Will classes be held online or in person? Can I take a quarter off for health or other purposes?

A: At this time normal P/NP policies are in place for fall 2020 as detailed on the OASA Deadlines and Enrollment Policies webpage for undergraduate students, and by the registrar for graduate students.

Auditing classes will be up to each individual professor’s discretion. If you’d like to audit a specific class, you can email the professors and they may be able to add you as a participant to the CCLE page and allow you to access course material.

UCLA courses and programs scheduled in summer sessions A and C are being offered through remote instruction. Many classes will also be online in the fall, though approximately 8% of campus-wide courses will be offered on site or in hybrid format. Please see details in this announcement.

For information on the university’s policies on taking an academic quarter off, please see the registrar’s site or contact the Student Affairs Office at 310-825-9580.

Tuition and Fees:

Q: Is the university reducing tuition or fees as a result of remote education? Will students get extensions to pay their tuition? How does the move to online instruction affect nonresident students who planned to petition for reclassification of residence status?
A: There will be no changes in campus tuition and fees as classes are offered remotely. At the present time, there will not be an extension of the pay period as a result of the pandemic. For additional information, visit the Registrar’s FAQ under “Registration and Fees.” For fall quarter 2020, the residence determination date is October 1, 2020. See the Registrar’s website residence requirements section for UCLA and UC residence information. Those classified as nonresident students will still be charged nonresident tuition fees, even if instruction is remote.

Housing and Campus Services:

Q: Should I leave my apartment or campus housing? Will there be room for me if I choose to stay?

A: As a result of county health department directives, UCLA must limit on-campus housing to students who have no alternative housing options and whose current housing does not provide a safe and appropriate environment or does not provide sufficient ADA accommodations; student-athletes participating in on-campus training and conditioning; and students enrolled in hybrid or in-person who do not have alternative local housing options. Students who currently have housing contracts will be contacted by the university in the coming weeks to determine whether they meet these criteria. Those who do not will have their contracts cancelled and fees refunded. Students may cancel their housing offers without penalty until September 16. Dining facilities will be open for carry-out meals with limited seating and other safety precautions are in place. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please visit the Housing COVID-19 information page or contact .

Financial Assistance:

Q: I’m uncertain about financial aid. Can changes in enrolled units or other areas affect my financial aid? Is there anything else I need to know?
A: Students receiving financial aid can find answers related to such changes on the Financial Aid and Scholarships website. The university is not changing policies and procedures regarding declaring nonattendance or withdrawal. More fellowships will be available for graduate students in the fall once students matriculate.

Technology and Accessibility:

Q: How will UCLA assist students who feel they don’t have adequate technology resources? What if I have problems with my laptop/device not being compatible for class?

A: Students can submit a form to borrow a laptop from the UCLA library for the entire quarter, while supplies last. If you have compatibility issues with your current technology, submit a message using the MyUCLA Student Support COVID-19 Message Center. If a student has a one-time internet connectivity error, you should get in touch with your professor to attempt to resolve the problem. For more major technology accessibility issues, UCLA has several programs that can help with purchasing or borrowing laptops, Wi-Fi hotspots, and other devices. Please visit Bruin Resources and Tools for more information. We also encourage any student who may be facing financial hardship to reach out to our Economic Crisis Response Team for assistance.

Research and Teaching Assistant (TA) Positions:

Q: I’m going to be a researcher or TA in the fall. Is there anything I need to know?
A: For positions which do not involve compensation, there should be no issues. For TA-ship, which involves verification of status and social security number, the U.S. has certain guidelines; individuals must be hired by a third party in their home country. Fellowship disbursement for the fall is currently in the works, and according to the Graduate Division, fellowships will be disbursed for students not in the U.S. There will be more information to come, so please contact your specific department. TOP (test of oral proficiency) exams will be offered via Zoom for fall 2020.

TA training courses will be offered in the fall, and possibly in the winter/spring if demand is sufficient. Once you are a TA, you can check out resources from the UCLA Library, or talk to your department and instructor to address additional needs. UCLA students who wish to be TAs are advised to attend the annual TA conference hosted by CAT and OID.


Q: I have an internship scheduled for summer, is it still on?
A: Please contact Will Herrera, director of Undergraduate Research and Internship Programs at , or connect with the internship coordinator at the organization with whom you plan to have an internship.

Student Life:

Q: How can students maintain their relationships with faculty and students? Is collaboration between students still possible?
A: While we may be separated by distance, we remain connected socially via Zoom and other platforms. Our faculty members and TAs will hold office hours via Zoom so students can continue to work with their instructors online, and student clubs are encouraged to continue their activities remotely as well. Students were also able to collaborate on group projects in the spring quarter using a mixture of the official UCLA CCLE courseware tools and other cloud resources such as Google Suites and Zoom, which are available to all UCLA students. While we cannot be physically connected, Bruins will always find a way to stay together and interact with one another.

COVID-19 Precautions:

Q: What precautions is UCLA taking to keep our community safe in the fall?

A: The safety of our students, faculty and staff remain our top priority. UCLA has put recommended infection-control procedures in place on campus. This includes physical distancing, lower density in classrooms and other spaces, frequent cleaning of classrooms and facilities, and the requirement that people wear face coverings while on campus, in consistence with guidance from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Additionally, daily symptom checks will be required for anyone coming to campus or living in on-campus housing. More information on the campus’ symptom-monitoring protocol is available online for staff and faculty performing non-healthcare work on campus (PDF) and for students (PDF). Asymptomatic COVID-19 testing will also be required for all students living in university housing or participating in on-site or hybrid classes, as well as for faculty, staff, or teaching assistants involved in teaching on site. Tests will be provided at no cost, and contact tracing protocols will be in place when anyone tests positive.

Please follow UCLA’s Standard Operating Procedure in reporting a confirmed COVID-19 case: For Students — Email Dr. Sam Elias at UCLA Arthur Ashe Center promptly. For Employees, including student workers, working remotely or on premises if they have been exposed to COVID-19 — their supervisor should email Dr. Maria Han and Dr. Shaunte Walton in preventative health promptly. In the email, provide the following information:

  • Subject line: Confidential Report of Potential Covid-19 Incident
  • Body: (1) Name of exposed employee and their supervisor, (2) location on campus where they last worked and the date, (3) nature of incident (e.g. hospitalized for symptoms and under review for confirmation), (4) actions taken (for example: referred to Hotline, advised not to return to work until cleared, OSHA report submitted)

*Important: Send all emails with “[Secure]” written prior to the subject in email and minimize notifications to other individuals due to patient privacy. Campus officials will handle notification plans or other needed actions.

If the staff member was exposed and/or infected during the course of work-related duties, notify the Office of Insurance and Risk Management (IRM) at: IRM Workers’ Compensation. If work-related and the individual was admitted into the hospital overnight for in-patient treatment beyond observation, call the Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) Serious Injury Hotline at 310-825-9797 for Cal/OSHA reporting.

Direct the person to call the UCLA Infectious Diseases Hotline at: 310-267-3300. This hotline provides individualized support for exposures and initial testing of employees, symptom monitoring guidance, and cluster investigations.

Mental Health and Community Support:

Q: What resources are available to us for mental health? What about for incoming students?
A: Counseling and Psychological Services has several options available for students to connect with counselors at their website. CAPS will maintain hours of operation: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. Additional information can be found on the OASA website. Engineering drop-in hours are not scheduled to take place in the summer. The drop-in hours will be available in the fall throughout the quarter. Crisis support is always available by phone to any student 24/7 at (310) 825-0768. If you mention the Engineering drop-in, you will be routed to drop-in staff if they are available. CAPS has also provided a guide that can help inform students on the services that are available and how to access them.

CAPS can assist incoming students with utilizing resources such as the TAO app, which is available and covered for any student with a UCLA email address. However, CAPS cannot treat incoming students until they are fully registered or enrolled.


Q: I feel that I’m being targeted based on my race and ethnic background due to the outbreak of coronavirus, what should I do?
A: UCLA Samueli is deeply committed to providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive learning environment. We ask that anyone who experiences a bias incident to report it to us by completing a UCLA Incident of Bias Reporting Form so we can take action. Resources to report electronic abuse, including UCPD, can be found here.
Q: Why might referring to COVID-19 or the coronavirus by a particular geographic location be offensive?
A: At UCLA, we believe it is important to promote an equitable, inclusive and diverse culture. Using terms such as “Wuhan virus” has unfortunately led to people of Asian and Pacific Islander descent being teased, bullied, harassed, harmed or made to feel like outsiders. See this post from the office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion for more information. If you are a target of bullying or harassment, please report it to us by completing a UCLA Incident of Bias Reporting Form so we can take action. Resources to report electronic abuse, including UCPD, can be found here.

The Samueli COVID-19 Task Force

The Samueli COVID-19 task force has been created to address academic and operational issues resulting from the outbreak. Please direct specific questions to the following individuals:

Task Force Chair, and Chair for Academic AffairsRick Wesel310-825-2942
Chair for Operational AffairsJeff Goldman310-825-2704
CommunicationsChristine Wei-li Lee310-206-0540
MSOL and online classesJenn-Ming Yang310-825-2758
Physical plantLex Kopfer310-206-1946
Research infrastructureHal Monbouquette310-825-8946

Departments and Programs Contact List

Melissa B Tran

Lesly Navas
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

Stacey Fong
Civil and Environmental Engineering

Leticia Ortiz
Computational Medicine

Cassandra Franklin
Computer Science

Jaqueline Tran
Electrical and Computer Engineering

Alisa Janesajawan
Master of Science in Engineering Online

KaiShan Li
Materials Science and Engineering

Alex Duffy
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

Jackson Fletcher